View Poll Results: What film should win the Academy Award for Best Picture?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Hurt Locker

7 25.00%

12 42.86%
  • The Blind Side

0 0%
  • Up in the Air

0 0%
  • An Education

0 0%
  • District 9

2 7.14%
  • Inglourious Basterds

3 10.71%
  • A Serious Man

2 7.14%
  • Up

1 3.57%
  • Precious

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What film should win the Academy Award for Best Picture?

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    With the list just announced for 2010 Oscars the independently made Iraq-war drama The Hurt Locker faces off with the most expensive movie of all time, Avatar. Both movies were nominated for nine Academy Awards, including best picture in a newly expanded field of 10, and best director.

Other best picture nominees include Precious - Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire,Inglourious Basterds,Up in the Air,The Blind Side,District Nine,An Education,The Hurt Locker,Inglourious Basterds,A Serious Man, Up, and Up in the Air.
    In the top categories, Up in the Air scored the most nominations with 5, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, as well as Best Actor, George Clooney , and Best Supporting Actress nods for both Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick.

Complete list of all the nominees here

Of note Up, no doubt due to the category expansion , joins Beauty and the Beast as the only animated films ever nominated for Best Picture.

Last edited by IdolEyes787; 02-02-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The Hurt Locker.

Second choice would be District 9, followed by Up In the Air/Inglorious Basterds (tie).

I haven't seen An Education or Precious yet.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Yeah I voted Hurt Locker too.Not the best rounded movie but tells the story it has to tell extremely well .Most of the others are quality but lack ambition.
    Avatar has ambition but not in the way I mean it.

I haven't seen Precious either.I figure if I wanted to watch pathetic fat people youtube requires a much shorter investment of my time.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 02-02-2010 at 03:26 PM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I find it kinda interesting that The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, and A Serious Man all contain the primary messages of futility, monotony, and things out of our control. Signs of the times, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    pffm's Avatar -M- BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Still haven't seen them all but from what I saw, really liked The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds.
    I found District 9 a bit overrated but still a good movie. As for Avatar, I haven't yet had the opportunity to see it, so I realy don't know what it's worth... but from what I heard and read, I would say that Avatar will win the best picture award.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    what does best picture mean? lol, i'm serious. does it mean what film i liked the most? best acting? most blood? coolest animation? what?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    I'm thinking and given the categories the various "Best Picture " films are nominated in , the award wins leading up to the Oscars and the fact that it's show business whichever picture between Hurt Locker and Avatar doesn't win Best Director will win Best Picture. .Hopefully and most likely Bigelow for director ( first woman woot ) and Avatar ( somewhat understandably ) for best picture.
    Oh course the films could split the vote and Up in the Air sneak in there( people always like to say something like that but hardly ever happens) ,the rest are in the "just happy to be there " category.
    Also Up wins Best Animated so that's it's reward and if Sandra Bullock managed a miracle and beats Streep it is the surest lock that you can go to bed early if you are waiting up for it to see if it wins Best Picture ( Same with Waltz - surest winner and IB and to a lesser degree Clooney - as in previous years - and Up in the Air)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    what does best picture mean? lol, i'm serious. does it mean what film i liked the most? best acting? most blood? coolest animation? what?
    If you are talking personally Best Picture can mean whatever you want it to although best usually means "the finest"
    Btw favorite and best are rarely the same.If it were probably a lot of people would say ZombieLand was the best movie of the year .
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 02-02-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    a serious man should win, but avatar WILL win.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    so i ended up voting for Avatar. unlike sum of the ppl here i really liked Avatar. i also like others in the poll as well, but the environment pulled me in more in Avatar i guess.

in order of preference:

1. Avatar
    2. Hurt Locker
    3. IB
    4. Up
    5. D9
    6. Serious Man (worst CB films yet)
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Oscar voters don't like science fiction,matter of fact none has ever won an oscar.It will really be interesting to see what they'll do now given the choice of substance and money again,my personal preference would be hurt locker followed by the blind side although critics would say,it was a rather weightless flick.

I really don't see how avatar would beat the hurt locker.They'll probably try to make a statement this year as well(sandy's blind side is officially the highest grossing flick by a female lead and then you have bigelow another woman.)

Plus the hurt locker feels like that iraqi story to get behind without worrying about political correctness.Either way its gonna be interesting to see how all this plays away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast