Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't this what Americans fear...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...from nationalized health care - the thing everyone swears cannot/will not happen here?

Quick - someone explain this, without weasel-words and squishy logic.

http://www.irishelection.com/2009/11...ying-problems/
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    ...from nationalized health care - the thing everyone swears cannot/will not happen here?

This situation is caused by the need to turn sections of the National Health Service into a profit making concerns so that it can be dissected and each profit making section privatised.

The whole purpose of the NHS is to ensure that free health care is available to everyone. It is not meant to be a profit making concern.

If you look at one section of the UK health service that has been privatised it would make a good horror movie. You have more chance of catching a fatal infection/disease in hospital than when it was completely Nationalised.

I am sorry I don't know what squishy logic means. At a guess I would say it means don't come back at me with facts.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

This situation is caused by the need to turn sections of the National Health Service into a profit making concerns so that it can be dissected and each profit making section privatised.

The whole purpose of the NHS is to ensure that free health care is available to everyone. It is not meant to be a profit making concern.

If you look at one section of the UK health service that has been privatised it would make a good horror movie. You have more chance of catching a fatal infection/disease in hospital than when it was completely Nationalised.

I am sorry I don't know what squishy logic means. At a guess I would say it means don't come back at me with facts.
    Forgive me, Bob; the first two paragraphs of your post appear to be at odds, and - forgive me again - logically squishy.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Says the man who features a quote from Thomas Sowell in his sig.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Now you've lost me, too.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Meaning that, in general, Thomas Sowell is a veritable fountain of weasel-words and squishy logic...which you approve of since he leans your way.

I think it's interesting that you don't seem to make room for the concept that we could do a better job of nationalized health care than Ireland.
    Then again, given your underlying theme that ALL government is inept and inefficient, it's not surprising.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Meaning that, in general, Thomas Sowell is a veritable fountain of weasel-words and squishy logic...which you approve of since he leans your way.

I think it's interesting that you don't seem to make room for the concept that we could do a better job of nationalized health care than Ireland.
    Then again, given your underlying theme that ALL government is inept and inefficient, it's not surprising.
    Please begin any response by indicating wherein lies the squishiness in my Sowell-sig before proceeding to whatever improvements in nationalized health-care you feel we may be capable of.

Do not forget to address Obama's recent admission that prior promises "allowing you to keep your current health care" have had rather large holes poked in them.
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-04-2010 at 12:58 AM.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    惡魔的提倡者
    One of the objections given to a government run plan was that it would be unfair to private insurance as they wouldn't have to make a profit, which I found quite amusing because an admission that private insurance is more expensive kind of helped the public option case.

Sowell's logic would be less squishy if he had also stated something along the lines of

“It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication AND a private for profit bureaucracy to administer it.”

His logic is squishy because it ignores the parallel flip side.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Forgive me, Bob; the first two paragraphs of your post appear to be at odds, and - forgive me again - logically squishy.

I lost you Kev because you think that an NHS needs to be a profit making concern. It is a service to the public and paid for by public taxation. No person should be making a profit from other peoples misfortune.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    This, Bob...

...is from your post.

To what/whose need do you refer?

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast