Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirating raising software prices

Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    I got on the topic of filesharing with my boss earlier today, to find out he was completely anti-piracy.

-My little story on what made me post this
    I said I was on a filesharing forum (fst) and he said "oh ya I use www.snapfiles.com" . Not knowing what it was I was like "Oh does that use rapidshare or what?", he replied "no you download right off their site"
    I was thinking wow this may be a nice site so I went on and searched photoshop to find no results. I said "this doesn't even have photoshop on it", and then he replies "you need to pay for that".
    He then asked if the site I used had it and I said yes I use thepiratebay ...
    he then said
    "its assholes like you that raise the cost of programs"

I didn't say a thing as he was so angry that I could tell I shouldn't have responded unless I wanted to lose my job lol.

I don't see how piracy lowers the price and how using freeware is that much different.
    If you use freeware your still not buying the payed program, and also I'm sure you probably don't intend to buy it.
    Also to compete with piracy you would think companies would lower prices in order to make it seem more affordable.

Example: kaspersky sale on antivirus for a year for $30, reduced from 60 or whatever it usually is.

/discuss
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 02-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    If you would have bought photoshop than he has a point since adobe is losing money from u pirating it. But the millions and millions some industries claim they are losing is BS. I would bet most people download a whole lot more than they would have bought.

The real question is, why are you telling your boss you are pirating?

Edit: yeah companies should lower prices to compete maybe (i think I heard that MS is selling office dirt cheap somewhere in Asia for this exact reason). But I think he is saying companies end up raising prices in order to make up for the fortunes lost to pirates . But tbh, I cant remember hearing of that ever happening so its probably just BS.
    Last edited by That1Guy; 02-05-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by That1Guy View Post
    The real question is, why are you telling your boss you are pirating?
    Lol the way he talked about this snapfiles website sounded just like a warez-bb style site lol.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 02-05-2010 at 09:52 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Oops. that would suck
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tv Controls you View Post
    Lol the way he talked about this snapfiles website sounded just like a warez-bb style site lol.
    most of the time it's better to say nothing at all in a work setting. especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

Not to mention the institution we work at uses the same windows xp code for every machine, which is illegal I'm sure.
    perhaps they have a VLK...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lysine View Post
    most of the time it's better to say nothing at all in a work setting. especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

Not to mention the institution we work at uses the same windows xp code for every machine, which is illegal I'm sure.
    perhaps they have a VLK...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key
    I wanted to discuss piracy's effects on the cost of software and freeware vs. pirated software, not how I should act at work lol
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 02-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    "its assholes like you that raise the cost of programs"
    Sure, but try telling that to someone from my country that needs Photoshop, for example. He has to multiply the price in dollars by 4.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Sure, but try telling that to someone from my country that needs Photoshop, for example. He has to multiply the price in dollars by 4.
    A bitter comeback.

I wonder why your boss would hate pirates. I bet he would be happy if he knew about torrents like we did.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickerey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    A bitter comeback.

I wonder why your boss would hate pirates. I bet he would be happy if he knew about torrents like we did.
    What do you mean knows about torrents like we do? with a naughty smiley lol?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Pirating software is probably the one subsection of piracy where they're actually losing money I would have spent, simply because I often need expensive software for school or work and I'd rather not spend the money. I do pay for operating systems and games I want to play online though.

I find that often freeware programs work just as well or better than their paid alternatives, the problem is sifting through the garbage software to find the gems. Obviously this doesn't really apply to say, CAD programs, but for simple stuff like a DVD ripper or a CD burning program this is certainly true. Personally I'm a fan of the shareware system, and if it's simply a one time cost for the software I'm more inclined to actually donate them the shareware money.

I also feel like this is the one sector of industry where prices are unbelievably marked up. I'm not that inclined to spend hundreds of dollars for an Adobe program for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast