Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 80gb Hard Drive Full Over Night!

I know why it suddenly took up so much space on your HD and the problem is right in front of you!

Look at the center in the bottom of your screenshot where it says Cluster Size! You chose to format your drive with an insane cluster size of 4 MB! The higher the cluster size of the file system is, the higher is the amount of slack space on your HD!

This means if you have a file that is only 350 bytes in size, the file system will use the smallest cluster count, in your case 4 MB (4,096 KB) to save the file to the disk. The other space that is not taken up by the file is called slack space. So, if you save 4 small files (let's just say around 100 - 200 KB) it will actually take up 4 x 4 MB = 16 MB on your disk.

So, the only solution to fix this problem is to format the drive with a smaller cluster size. NTFS offers you the choice to format your clustters in multiple sizes, ranging from 4 KB to 4,096 KB. Best thing to do is format in the smallest possible cluster size or simply choose Default cluster size next time!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    WOW Good catch maddog. Is there anyway to reduce the cluster size without reformating?
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    BANNED
    Originally posted by muchspl2@20 October 2003 - 00:10
    what does burst have to do with anything?
    bittorrent allocates the file before you start the download, just how it works, nothing to do with burst
    bittorrent is just a protocol....if u use latest BT version, it doesn include a neat downloader....but if you use BURST you dont have 700 megs when you start the torrent....but you have 0megs...and the file size grows as you download more...

this was an issue with BT before...its fixed in the latest version of it.... and burst was just an example of how to manage the torrent...

DWk

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Triadcool@19 October 2003 - 20:44
    WOW Good catch maddog. Is there anyway to reduce the cluster size without reformating?
    Partition Magic

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    the only way that his clustersize could have eaten up so much space is if he had hundreds of thousands of tiny files i mean such a huge emount its very unlikely he would have them unless he archives news forums on his computer

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    BitTorrent allocates the space for your downloads before it downloads the files. I started to download Max Payne 2 from BitTorrent and it was going so slow (1kbs) so i stopped the download at 1% complete.

Then i looked at the folder it was downloading to and it said it was 1.5GB. thats the total size of both CDs for MP2.

When i deleted the MP2 folder i recovered my space.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    Poster
    Originally posted by Triadcool@19 October 2003 - 00:07
    i&#39;m not familiar w/the prog ur using, but if u add up the "wasted space" column, it adds up 2 about 79 gig. y is the "wasted space" column so much more than the "occupied size" column? if u right click one of those folders in exploring (program files is a HUGE difference) and go 2 properties, how big does it say the directory is?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    You´re to late kurtsl0an he allready formatted the disk

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Yup he gave up.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    BANNED
    to be honest i hacked him last night and downloaded my shared folder on to his hard drive, that way i could share via him and not get cought by the riaa

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast