Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Racist Comments

Xanex's Avatar Poster
    People have seemed to have missed my point entirely all bar MM,

Its not the lack of flamming its the over reaction to such a silly thing, its just a shame people cant be light hearted on these small topics. From what i read on that thread and by the way uNz[i] was posting it seemed like an all out war was going on, only to upon reading that thread the comments where petty and the reactions where over rated.

Names are names as far as I see it, some American calling me a limey is no different to me callin a Nigerian a nigger.

Sticks and stones as people say. but some people are just too easily bruised.

uNz[i]
    Racism should never be taken lightly.
    Your absolutly right, and im sorry you have to deal with this all the time with these uneducated people, but being white isnt easy either when you have every minority group treading on your toes trying to see over the top and be recognised.

Ilw
    english = limeys
    blacks = wogs
    are completely different in terms of the emotional reactions of people (either on the receiving end or not). I'm sure you instinctively know this is true even if you've never bothered to work out why, just like you can usually instinctively tell when you cross the line in making a comment.
    It all depends on the person, I might just take the same reaction as the next person, but because of the person I am I just let it slide and know to myself they either are jesting or they ar4e lower than myself and I will not dignify the response.

If people only moved up a level to that of the racist then things would be fine, for you know in yourself that they arent worth the effort. With some exceptions but there are laws for that.

In forums like this it is so hard to modorate everything on the subject of racism, for one person may see the funny and innocent side while the other will plot the death of the said.

MM
    if its not meant to be ofensive then its your problem for

being soft , get yourself together and lighten up every thing has its place, if its

offensive i would be the first to break somebody's jaw but if its not then i have fun

with it
    roger that again good buddy =)

Xanex

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Names are names as far as I see it, some American calling me a limey is no different to me callin a Nigerian a nigger.
    Bad example, this one.

Although "Nigger" may be short for Negro, which is a Race name, its association with Slavery in particular makes it very sensitive.

Limey/Pommy etc may be funny to us, however "Nigger" is not funny to coloured people quite understandably. This is racism, pure and simple in this context.

I have used the word before, many times....to friends at the same time as they have called me Honky etc... As friends, we were kidding around wth each other and joking.

There are very few people on this board that are close enough emotionally to get away with such joking. If they are joking with each other, it will offend others....

In other words, this word is one of a few that there is no excuse for ever typing on this board.

I trust that this is the last time I see it here.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #33
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Names are names full stop, if people take offense then so be it, but as long as i know im not being abusive in the context of my writing/talking and ive made it clear to others then i dont see the problem. Although they may not see it that way, then f*ck em if they are that petty and cant use their intelligence to work it out, i consider myself quite intelligent to avoid using such descriptions in non abusive context but there are times like the above where Its in example not in racial abusivness.

Its a shame how harmless nicknames so degrade to the levels of abuse.

an insult is an insult no matter how u look at it. and above i was not directing at anyone, are we in a world where we are censored to everything we say? i hope not

limey was the fact that our navy issued us with limes in order to prevent scurvey, frankly i dont like being compared to a fruit anymore than a Negro/Nigro would like being called the said.

Limey/Pommy etc may be funny to us, however "Nigger" is not funny to coloured people quite understandably. This is racism, pure and simple in this context
    If i where so inclined I would take offence at this, since it refers to my race of people ( define "Race" ) , it may be funny to me but to another would be crying racism all over the place. People are so fickle at times...

Though your right I also hope this is the last time I see it here, BUT NOT in this context, ur the mod its ur rulz. But i hope you can tell where people are being abusive and NOT informative and moderate to such.

I have used the word before, many times....to friends at the same time as they have called me Honky etc... As friends, we were kidding around wth each other and joking.
    I thought we where all friends here too???

Xanex

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #34
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    There are very few people on this board that are close enough emotionally to get away with such joking. If they are joking with each other, it will offend others....

We are.

However there are friends and there are friends.

I also have friends that would take great offense at the same type of joking around .

Other words are offensive to a majority when they get used are those such as "Paki"....short for Pakistani, yes. And most Pakistani's i know call each other this...however, it is also used to describe Indians....as most UK residents cant be bothered to know the difference.

All Indians I know are offended by this term....the same Pakistani's that call each other the word, get offended when used by "whites". It is therefor a racist term.

I do not know anyone that gets offended by the term "Limey", maybe mildly annoyed in the same way that some Americans dislike being called "Yanks" (especially the ones from Southern States ). Neither term is racist, as it refers to a nationality, not a race.... It doesnt matter if your Black, White or Pink with Blue polkadots... it describes what country your from, nothing more.

You can generally tell from the context of a post if something is meant as a "Racist" comment, i agree. However some terms/words are offensive whether or not they are meant to be.

In this context.....there are words that just are not used.

With many 000s of members, you will offend people using words like this...you know this, you are not stupid.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #35
    Jayhawk's Avatar Rock Chalk Jayhawk BT Rep: +5
    very well said

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #36
    Poster
    I wonder why anyone with a brain would feel it neccesary to label others.

Whether it be race, creed, sexuality, hair colour, weight, looks, background, etc, etc.... , no-one likes to be singled out. Intolerance has no place in modern society.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #37
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@18 October 2003 - 14:54
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?...pic=74891&st=0

Whats wrong wit that topic? Even you posted in it.
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #38
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    A few people seem to be under the impression that I'm not white. That is wrong. I am white, of English and Irish extraction, raised from birth in Australia. But that isn't really relevant.

In my area, I see a lot of indigenous Australians copping a raw deal every day. I am constantly hearing small-minded bigots grumbling and cracking awful racist jokes about them behind thier backs, which I find incredibly cowardly and offensive.

My point in my comment on that topic where I dared that guy to repeat what he'd said about Indigenous filmakers talents in the Tenant Creek Bus Station is this; You wouldn't say it there, so what makes you think it's okay to say it here?

I've had the opportunity to travel to the outback and see the Indigenous Australians in the bush, away from the cities. What I saw and learned there was some of the most amazing stuff you could imagine. They are being maligned for no good reason other than that some people are incredibly ignorant and/or scared.

Ive already said I'm done talking about this issue. Since then, I've been called soft, and accused of having no sense of humour. I'm not here to play PC policeman, as I've also already said. If any of this had taken place in the Funny Stuff section, I would've stayed out of it. But it was in Movieworld, and none of it was even close to being in the form of a joke. It was completely inappropriate to the topic in hand.

All I intended to achieve with this topic is to have one word added to the forum rules.

Rule 2
    Posts containing subject matter deemed racist, grotesque, disturbing, obscene, malicious, or of a sexual nature may be edited or deleted. Images containing complete nudity are not allowed, and nude images in which the subject(s) are topless may only be posted in the Lounge area.
    Thats all.. it's quite simple.

Now I really am finished here.. question all you like, it'll be a waste of time. I'm leaving this topic for good and won't be back.

I leave this in the capable hands of the mods and admin.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #39
    BANNED
    and stuff in the movie world is not funny???

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #40
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    i concur with uNz[i] rat-faced jpaul nikkid and others that the racism clause needs to be expressed rather than implied in the forum rules.

adster/adthomp and wrongturn have in my opinion demonstrated much of what is wrong with australia.
    i also find their ignorant textural vomit to be offensive.

@adster re. albinism & being 'the other' :: being part of a minority doesn't give you any lee-way to dis other disenfranchised groups, the fact that you should know how it feels makes you seem even smaller for making such pathetic comments

to the americans who 'can't see a problem' and who 'don't think that the thread was bad enough',

as rat faced said different people take offence at different things, the people calling the names rarely understand the offence, if you are not offended when someone else is then you probably don't understand why it could be offencive.

so just because you don't find it offencive doesn't mean that it isn't offencive

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast