Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved?

Bermuda Triangle mystery solved?

Massive gas bubbles rising from the sea floor may be capable of sinking ships and could explain the disappearance of a vessel in a North Sea "Bermuda Triangle", Melbourne researchers have concluded.

In a report published in the September issue of the American Journal of Physics, Monash University's Professor Joseph Monaghan and honours student David May said that a trawler discovered resting in a large methane crater off the east coast of Scotland may have been sunk by a huge gas bubble. The possibly lethal gas bubbles are created by underwater deposits of methane that have built up over thousands of years.

"It's long been known that there are pockets of methane gas, known as methane gas hydrates, beneat the ocean floor that could erupt if they're disturbed or if their internal pressure becomes too large," Professor Monaghan said.

The massive gas bubbles had the potential to cause aircraft to crash, Mr May said yesterday. "In the Bermuda Triangle, methane gas is known to be present and the release of that gas could cause not only boats to sink, as shown in our study, but also aeroplanes to crash," he said. The gas could cause an explosion if it came in contact with the hot engine of a plane.

Oil-drilling platforms are aware of the dangers of ocean floor gas bubbles and have safety procedures to follow if they hit a methane pocket. But the discovery of the fishing trawler in the North Sea suggests that not all vessels were as well prepared. Sonar surveys of the ocean floor 150 kilometres east of Scotland have revealed high levels of methane and gas eruption sites. At a site known as the Witch's Hole, a documentary film crew in 2000 discovered a wreck resting in the centre of an underwater crater, likely caused by a huge methane gas release. The wreck was a 22-metre, steel-hulled fishing trawler, built between 1890 and 1930. The trawler was relatively undamaged and was horizontal on the sea bed.

From laboratory experiments, the Monash University researchers were able to conclude that large gas bubbles, theoretically, had the ability to sink ships. "It is quite possible that the trawler languishing in Witch's Hole was sunk by a bubble with a radius equal to or bigger than the trawler's hull," Professor Monaghan said.

Mr May said they had made a small perspex boat and conducted a number of experiments examining how the size of the bubble related to the size and position of the boat.

They found that if a ship was directly above a gas bubble it was relatively safe, but a vessel on the edge or in the trough of a bubble may be swamped.

"The sinking occurs because a mound of water is raised above the region where the bubble reaches the surface," Professor Monaghan said.

"The flow from the mound creates a deep trough on each side of the mound, and the flow from the mound carries the boat into the trough."

SOURCE

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    How does this explain the "Marie Celeste"?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I seem to remember this theory about the Bermuda Triangle being expounded about ten years ago.

Rat Faced. The Mary Celeste was not in the Bermuda Triangle when it was found but in the Azores. Theory was that the crew thought that the boat was sinking, the pump was not working so they took to the lifeboat. All the other 'Tales' about bloody swords etc. Were not mentioned in the offical enquiry.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by sharedholder@23 October 2003 - 15:26

Massive gas bubbles rising from the sea floor may be capable of sinking ships and could explain the disappearance of a vessel in a North Sea "Bermuda Triangle", Melbourne researchers have concluded.

Hey man i've heard it all now. THE EARTH FARTS
    Man U fer eva

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    muchspl2
    I always knew it had to do with swamp ga.. err I mean gas

but for real, I saw a study on this awhile back and seems to be the best one out on explaining it

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by billyfridge+23 October 2003 - 10:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (billyfridge @ 23 October 2003 - 10:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sharedholder@23 October 2003 - 15:26

Hey man i&#39;ve heard it all now. THE EARTH FARTS [/b][/quote]
    Hello, and welcome to an adult conversation.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Why spoil the ghost/ET stories we all grew up with?

I&#39;ll stick to telling the kids its ET

As to the Gas theory....I dont know enough to comment one way or another.

However didnt an entire flight of Fighter Planes disappear in there? I can see a Gas Bubble taking out a plane or a ship....but a flight?

I dont think one theory will cover it all, as I think that different stuff has been responsible for different "Disappearances".

There is also some type of "Super Wave" that just appears and, they think, has been responsible for sinkings all over the world... i&#39;ll try and remember their name and look it up later.

Put this together with the Gas theory... and also that there was a lot of Piracy in those waters hundreds of years ago, together with the superstition of the time....I can see a "Story" grow and grow....

Mind, i&#39;d still love to know what happened to that flight....

Edit:

Called Rogue Waves..... a lot more common than previously thought

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    This theory is the only reasonable one, I knew about this a long time ago and can&#39;t really dissagree with it purley because nothing else makes sense.
    What else is it....??.........Aliens??........Ghost Pirates??..........Think about it
    Bit like the Dinosuar thing, they say that when the Meteor hit, it hit in a certain place that released gases, if it had been 4 hours earlier or later then the Earth would not have been ravished like it was.

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    I saw a documentary about this a few years back.

The best theory it put forward was: In the Bermuda Triangle, with the right atmospheric conditions, the horizon virtually "vanishes".

The sea and the sky seem to blur into each other. Because there is no point of reference, pilots can fly too low and crash into the sea.

Of course that doesn&#39;t account for all the lost ships...

But a methane bubble big enough to sink an ocean liner? That&#39;s a bit of a stretch, imo.

Edit: typo

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I like the Cthulhu theory.

Cthulhu, the most known Ancient One, a creature that "lies not dead, but dreaming in the under water city of of R&#39;lye" lives in the Bermuda Triangle.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~anthro/webcourse/los...da-triangle.htm for more theories.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast