Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Itunes

A few days ago Apple released their Windows version of iTunes. If you don't know what iTunes is, it's a music download program that lets you search for songs and arists, sample the music at CD quality, then buy and download the songs for $.99 each.

I took it upon myself to try it out.

I have been a steady Kazaa user ever since Napster died. I've downloaded hundreds of songs (not at a time, mind you) from Kazaa and burned tons of CDs.

So I download the iTunes software (free from itunes.com) and installed without problems. The first thing I noticed is that it didn't try to install any adware or Internet Explorer favorites. This is always nice. Once the program opened I see the Mac style interface we all know and love/hate.

You have to register a username and password which takes all of a minute. Credit card information is also needed so you can purchase songs.

I wanted to find a song by Eve 6 and I couldn't remeber the name or any lyrics, but thankfully iTunes let's you stream a CD quality 30 second sample, and it's almost instant. Finding the song was easy with this feature. A great relief from Kazaa; where if you don't know the name of song, your stuck downloading a bunch of random songs, some of which may have bad quality or never start.

iTunes only has one version of a song, unless it has explicit lyrics, then they also offer a clean version of the song (another nice feature). And you don't have to worry about the songs having fuzz, clicks, low quality or any of those other annoying things that are common in Kazaa audio files.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to search for a song and find it, and not have to worry about how many sources or bandwidth it has and which filename is the one you want. I love it.

The only things that bugged me was it is a little slow loading different sections of the program (music store, music library etc). The other is that the files don't have an .mp3 extension and you can't open them in anything but iTunes or Quicktime (which I hear is changing soon).

At $.99 a song, its very affordable. This is great because now you never have to buy an entire CD (for those who still buy CDs) for just a few songs. Once you have the songs, you can freely burn them to a CD, or if you have an iPod, load them on there.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I got a great satisfaction out of knowing that I own the files, fully and legally.

There are so many more features in iTunes like radio and importing your current music library into iTunes, but I don't have time to go into them.

So overall I give iTunes an 8 out of 10. I just thought I'd give everyone an idea of what to expect in the future and what not.

Feel free to post your feedback here.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    well, i dont trust those sites, b/c why would i waste money on downloading songs, when i could easly get em for free....

2 more things

sounds like spam
    sounds like a agent from itunes spamming...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Can i play those songs in my MP3 player because cause if I have to get "Special" hardwere or softwere to play the songs then it is useless to me. I don`t like proprietary formats. It a pain in the ass especial if you use alternative os

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    You don't trust Apple? One the the largest pioneering companies in the Personal Computing world?

How is it spam? I haven't spammed it anywhere. I've posted it once here.
    And you figured me out, I'm a secret agent from iTunes (the company is called Apple, not iTunes, iTunes is a product of Apple).

I pretty sure "agents" from Apple wouldn't spend their time posting in filesharing forums.

To Ariel
    I just read a news post on Cnet that said Apple will most likely be making changes allowing you to send it to your MP3 player, and not just an iPod. They also mentioned maybe making the files MP3. The only reason they are using a proprietary format is because they don't want people buying them from iTunes and then going off and sharing them on Kazaa.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    well can they be converted to MP3 format or is it aready MP3 format?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    They are in a custom .m4p (yes m4p) file format, created for iTunes, that is a protected file format.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    what about burning to CD (AUDIO). Can this be done?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Sounds Like A Good Program But I Have Some Questions!

1.Do You Have To Have A Credit Card Or Do They Accept Swith/Solo
    2.Is It An American Only Thing?
    3.Have You Scanned Your System For Ad-Ware/Spy-Ware Since Installation?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I like "playing" around with songs (in an editor) and making mix CDS that i buy and that why i wanted to know if it is not some proprietary format. It`s really too bad that it is the a proprietary format cause i would buy some of the songs there. oh well....

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    iTunes only has one version of a song, unless it has explicit lyrics, then they also offer a clean version of the song (another nice feature). And you don't have to worry about the songs having fuzz, clicks, low quality or any of those other annoying things that are common in Kazaa audio files.
    there are guides here on finding hi quality mp3`s. search for them and try searching for mp3`s higher them 128 bit rate

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast