Thread: Share With Users You Know?

Is there a way to share with people you know eg. If a friend has a file in his download folder is there a way to get directed to his file if he is online?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    wellness....
    theres 3 options

you can get his IP and TRY to jump to his supernode and get the file.. which is kinda hard conserding that theres 3million ppl always online

get a ftp server, like bpftp and run it (not recommend for first timers)

use a chat program such as msn, aim, icq or wat not to trade the file

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I wish there was a way to:

1. run as a supernode/server
    2. require users to have a unique user name and password to connect to your supernode
    3. have a way for the server to authenicate those users

...and then have everything work the same way (I think) kazaa works now.

Reason:
    There is a website I visit where a lot of people make their own music. Everyone ends up making www.soundclick.com pages to host them. If we, as a group, could use the kazaa lite program, but stay in our own community - we could take advantage of passing our files to each other without dealing with the BS that is soundclick or dmusic or whoever else. As a small community of peple that share a single interest in each other's music, it would be nice to section away from the other 3 million people while keeping the interface and multi-source download features.

...but anyway --- could you setup a VPN to download swap files with someone over the internet? I never figured out how to get through my hardware firewall.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    IRC worked well for me... and seemed to allow more direct connections, and faster speeds than messenger services or FTPs.

You can just set up an irc channel on a random server, and give your group the details, each person can set up their own "file server" for easy browsing of files. Plus, as a side feature, you'd also be able to chat in the channel with eachother, while downloading.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by doctah@19 October 2003 - 06:02
    I wish there was a way to:

1. run as a supernode/server
    2. require users to have a unique user name and password to connect to your supernode
    3. have a way for the server to authenicate those users

...and then have everything work the same way (I think) kazaa works now.

Reason:
    There is a website I visit where a lot of people make their own music. Everyone ends up making www.soundclick.com pages to host them. If we, as a group, could use the kazaa lite program, but stay in our own community - we could take advantage of passing our files to each other without dealing with the BS that is soundclick or dmusic or whoever else. As a small community of peple that share a single interest in each other's music, it would be nice to section away from the other 3 million people while keeping the interface and multi-source download features.

...but anyway --- could you setup a VPN to download swap files with someone over the internet? I never figured out how to get through my hardware firewall.
    I think you might want to look into DC++.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    ^^yeah...

I wish Hotline was still being developed. That was "groovy"

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    If you want to get it DIRECTLY from your friend, both of you guys should use mIRC, DC++, or KDX.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    why not just put it on a datta disk and mail it to each other?