Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overcloking: I Think I Barely Blowed My Hdd.

leonidas's Avatar Poster
    I just post this to prevent newbies in overclocking like me from doing the same thing.

In order to cool my HD, I have put a fan below it. And then 1 minute after turning on my computer, I heard a big Beeeeeepp!!. So I swiched off the computer instantly.
    I'm pretty sure the problem came from the conflict betwen both magnetic forces, the one of the fan, and the one of the Hard Disk.

But thanks to Jehova my computer is apparently not injured.

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about physics & Overclocking could give his opinion on that.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    overclocking if you don't know what you're doing can and will kill your computer... read about it and get a good feel for it before starting.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/ <---- this is a great site for it, w/ great forums that i and many others are actively involved in. check it out.

rk

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    What does adding a cooling fan to a hard-drive have to do with overclocking?

A hard-drive will run hot if it&#39;s put under heavy use but that can virtually be done on any PC.

Anyways, being that a hard-drive is in a metal housing it seems that electromagnetic interference isn&#39;t very likely.

Besides, a hard-drive cooler w/fan already exists. Tigerdirect.com is one vendor that sells them

Interesting anomaly though...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by harrycary@21 October 2003 - 00:56

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    u wanna watch ur ocing little shrimp. (moses, the fat dude from mdnite club 2 says that) lol. if u don&#39;t know wat ur doin, u could fuck up ur comp pretty bad

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by leonidas@19 October 2003 - 15:29

I&#39;m pretty sure the problem came from the conflict betwen both magnetic forces, the one of the fan, and the one of the Hard Disk.

Not likely.

Look elsewhere.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by harrycary@20 October 2003 - 23:56

A hard-drive will run hot if it&#39;s put under heavy use but that can virtually be done on any PC.

Anyways, being that a hard-drive is in a metal housing it seems that electromagnetic interference isn&#39;t very likely.

Besides, a hard-drive cooler w/fan already exists. Tigerdirect.com is one vendor that sells them

Interesting anomaly though...
    He may be talking about he overclocked it so he needs to reduce heat, so he put the fan in, but now its making a bleeping sound.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by clocker+21 October 2003 - 03:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 October 2003 - 03:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leonidas@19 October 2003 - 15:29

I&#39;m pretty sure the problem came from the conflict betwen both magnetic forces, the one of the fan, and the one of the Hard Disk.

Not likely.

Look elsewhere. [/b][/quote]
    Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the HDD be magnetically sheilded ??

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by neattairoski+30 October 2003 - 08:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (neattairoski @ 30 October 2003 - 08:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@21 October 2003 - 03:51
    <!--QuoteBegin-leonidas
    @19 October 2003 - 15:29

Not likely.

Look elsewhere.
    Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the HDD be magnetically sheilded ?? [/b][/quote]
    Yeah. You need to look for another reason. I suspect that you power supply voltages are no longer within tolerances. Adding the fan(s) has added more load and now your power supply is overloaded.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+30 October 2003 - 14:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 30 October 2003 - 14:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by neattairoski@30 October 2003 - 08:29
    Originally posted by clocker@21 October 2003 - 03:51
    <!--QuoteBegin-leonidas
    @19 October 2003 - 15:29

Not likely.

Look elsewhere.

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the HDD be magnetically sheilded ??
    Yeah. You need to look for another reason. I suspect that you power supply voltages are no longer within tolerances. Adding the fan(s) has added more load and now your power supply is overloaded. [/b][/quote]
    yea, that could be possible. wat psu do u have? how many watts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast