Thread: System Beeps After Restart Every 5 Seconds?

Every time I turn on my computer or restart it, my computer sits there and beeps every 5 seconds and restarts after every beep. So its like (BEEP) restart 1 2 3 4 5 (BEEP) restart 1 2 3 4 5........... so on and so forth untill I push the power button to turn the computer off then I turn the computer back on and it starts like a charm. Any ideas on what is wrong or what is making my system beep.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Yes. Your power button is sticking.

I have seen this problem before.

I bet that if you try and press the button off center and you press it in just the right way that it gets jammed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    No I dont think thats it because I had my computer cover off the other day and the buttons werent sticking. And the fact that it doesnt happen everytime I restart or turn on the computer just most of the time.
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    And the fact that it doesnt happen everytime I restart or turn on the computer just most of the time.
    Exactly my point. If it doesn&#39;t happen every time then it would depend if it gets stuck everytime. What I was saying is that if you press the button "Just a certain way" the button sticks within its frame in your case front. Not every time.

I only say this because, as I said before, I have seen this exact same problem and that was the cause.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I had this problem about 2 months ago. I changed some bios settings and that happened. 50/50 whether it would start or beep. I just reset the bios to factory settings and it was fine.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Check your graphics card. Mine did somthing similar when my chip blew.

It would boot up detect the AGP card but restart when the AGP didnt respond.

Does your machine show anything on the screen if not then ur problem is as above, if not im stumped so take out ur AGP or PCI gpu and replace it with another or just refit it, may be short circuiting. If nothing like this has happend b4 and you just found it happend suddenly when you booted up one day then its most likley thus...

Things like bios dont go wrong just like that, only with power surges or lack of power when its booting does the bios snuff it

Hope this helps

Xan

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I am going to try your suggestinos out, ill get back to you on what was wrong with it.
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Triadcool@19 October 2003 - 22:17
    Every time I turn on my computer or restart it, my computer sits there and beeps every 5 seconds and restarts after every beep. So its like (BEEP) restart 1 2 3 4 5 (BEEP) restart 1 2 3 4 5........... so on and so forth untill I push the power button to turn the computer off then I turn the computer back on and it starts like a charm. Any ideas on what is wrong or what is making my system beep.
    Beep is POST. The beep means your BIOS/CMOS is working good.

Unplug any newly added hardware.

I had this problem from adding a new CPU fan. Weird isn&#39;t it?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Sounds like memory problems or incompatible with the 2nd memory module if you have 2. Make sure your power supply hasn&#39;t been switched in voltage by someone also, 110 vs 230