Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Anti-Piracy Update Now Live

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Windows 7 Anti-Piracy Update Now Live
    February 24, 2010 by Marcus Yam

" New patch checks for more activation hacks.

Earlier this month, we detailed that Microsoft was prepping a Windows 7 Update that would improve Windows Activation Technologies to detect more than 70 known and potentially dangerous activation exploits.

Those paying attention to their Windows Update will see that the patch KB971033 is now live. It's not explicitly named anything to do with Windows Activation Technologies, as it's simply termed as an "Update for Windows 7."

Microsoft previously pointed out that this update is completely voluntary and users can decline the update when it appears (though we can't imagine why legitimate users would worry). Of course, if a hack or exploit is found, Windows 7 will alert the user by removing the desktop background and pop up periodic reminders of just how non-genuine it is feeling. "

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...acks,9739.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    It's not explicitly named anything to do with Windows Activation Technologies
    No it isn't but when you click on it and read the details it explicitly mentions what it is. The support link leads here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033.

I would hope people read about what an update does before trusting it.
    Last edited by Kyorisu; 02-25-2010 at 10:15 AM.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    voluntary ? then whom the heck this update is made for?
    i smell dusttrap.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Poster
    we have several PCs from Dell at work that got that non-genuine message. M$ are being assholes about it... like most anti-piracy crap from M$.. this will sometimes break your PC..

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    microsoft continues with their 10 y/o conversion tactic? repeat "please" until goal accomplished. Hey it 'works' for the UN right?

oh yeah not huh

thanks microsoft.. after XP I'm moving to OSX

stuff your DRM in an I/O orifice

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Good thing I ditched that piece of crap last week and went back to XP. I only use windows on my HTPC I'm a Mac OSX user. It's only function is to deliver media and TV but I spent most of my time fixing issues. If I had OSX drivers for my TV tuners I'd turn the HTPC into a Hackintosh (Mac clone).

@ slaughterads

Good choice you'll love OSX. I converted when the first Intel version came out and I have not looked back.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by technobob View Post
    Good thing I ditched that piece of crap last week and went back to XP. I only use windows on my HTPC I'm a Mac OSX user. It's only function is to deliver media and TV but I spent most of my time fixing issues. If I had OSX drivers for my TV tuners I'd turn the HTPC into a Hackintosh (Mac clone).

@ slaughterads

Good choice you'll love OSX. I converted when the first Intel version came out and I have not looked back.
    You should try Ubuntu with Mediacenter Software like Boxee or xbmc. Install netatalk and you can use Bonjour to broadcast your ubuntu box in the network using the Apple File Protocol making things so much smoother than i was able to get it using windows

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Don't you dare touch my desktop background, Windows. :errm:
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody2100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by technobob View Post

@ slaughterads

You should try Ubuntu with Mediacenter Software like Boxee or xbmc. Install netatalk and you can use Bonjour to broadcast your ubuntu box in the network using the Apple File Protocol making things so much smoother than i was able to get it using windows
    I would switch to Linux but I have 2 reasons I can't. The main problem is finding a Canadian EPG to use I've never been able to find one. I use Snapstream BeyondTV because it will auto compress the recordings to Divx so I can transfer them to my laptop to use at work. If I could fix those two issues I would switch, I've been really wanting to get rid of Microcrap from my life all together.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    A little tid bit you might find interesting is MS already did one of these on Vista (KB940510). It was aimed at OEM fixed XP installs. At the time (and still am) I was running BIE's version of Vista SP1 64 bit and the KB did not show up in its critical download list, just in the 32 bit version I suppose. So my BIE version survived even SP2 without being discovered, but I don't know about BIE's 32 bit version I never ran it.

The point being BIE's Win 7 versions may be the way to go if you can't afford it right now, and 64 bit ultimate may be less targeted than the 32 bit version. Who Knows?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast