Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network With Router And Hub Prob

I've got a router for my internet conection and into this are 3 PCS and a hub. Into the hub i want to connnect another 3 PC's. Now this is all very well if i want to connect computers with windows 98, but XP will just not connect through a hub.

Does anyone please have any idea why?

Please go easy, this is my first network so im not too hot on manual settings

Thanks alot

Dave

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ok first all dont put things like these "network ip hub router firewall problem help hacker firewall" in ur topic post...

second is this a router or a hub?

A hub is a totally dumb device. If it gets a data signal, it just forwards it to everybody and hopes someone will pick it up.

A switch is just barely smarter. If it gets a data packet, it will try and find the device it goes to, and then send it to that device only, but the device MUST reside on the same subnet. A switch wont send data packets to computers on different subnets

A router is just barely smarter than a switch. It only gets a data packet if the destination computer isnt on the same subnet or LAN. The router then figures out where in the world that computer is located and then sends it in the right direction.
    is that right guys??

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    OK, i don't really get what your asking so i will just re-emphasise this. I have a 4-port cable router. I need to connect more P.C's. I added a HUB by plugging it into the ROUTER. The computers that are connected to the router work fine. The computers connected to the hub only work fine if they are not running XP. i.e computers running win 98 will connect through the hub.

Cheers

Dave

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    thanks for re-phrasing dave.....

is the hub connecting into the part in the router that says "uplink" or close to that, dont put it in on of the other ports...

second,hubs and routers dont mix, thats like win3.1 and a 200gig hdd, they just dont work together, if i was u id get anouther router

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Right thanks for that.

Thats not gonna cost too much. But whats pissing me off is the fact that it works with windows 98. (sorry yeah all connected fine). When you go through the network setup wizard and tell it you connect through a residensial gateway (which works when connected to router) it doesnt work. If you go other and tell it it connects through a Hub Xp starts bitching about Internet Connection Firewall and that it is not recomended.
    So im pretty sure that its somthing to do with xp fucking up the settings- because it works with windows 98!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lol windoz sucks but we need it

its just the thing wit routers and hubs...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by TheFilePirater@22 October 2003 - 23:59
    second,hubs and routers dont mix, thats like win3.1 and a 200gig hdd, they just dont work together, if i was u id get anouther router
    HUH?

if that's the case - how is my entire network accessing the internet through the hub (which is of course plugged in2 a router) -

INTERNET - CABLE MODEM - ROUTER - HUB - PC'S

that's the order 4 accessing shared internet w/those devices.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    To be honest mate thats what i thought, and thats why i brought a hub. So does anyone have any idea. Also whys my file and print sharing not working?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    y doesn't the xp puter connect 2 the others? r u assigning static ip's 2 each puter? can u ping another puter from the xp machine or vice versa?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    no mate this is the way it has to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast