Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many Ppl Here Update Their Ms Office Software?

Poster
    i want to update office 2003 but i'm kinda nervous in case they decide to check cd authenticity

proud to be american

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    come 2 think of it i never update... i updated windows media player but that's it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    for the people who can't update due to technical restrictions from the site/program/ms..., search and ul find sites with the files u need and/or a way to go around the technical difficulty.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Err hello. I already linked to such a site.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Never bothered, I don't see the point in updating it, it all seems ok for me, and I'm worried about possible problems. I don't use Outlook anyway.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    I keep mine updated...but I haven't checked in a couple weeks.
    Thanks for the reminder.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by MetroStars@21 October 2003 - 15:58
    i updated windows media player but that's it
    just for the rest who might think its a good idea to update WMP:

DO NOT GET THE LASTEST VERSION OF WMP
    once you get wmp9, you can't get rid of it PLUS it has DRM

what the hell is drm you ask
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm.aspx

ohh well I'll just un-install it if its so bad

you can't, there is no un-install of wmp9
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

from the link:
    Windows Me and XP users must rely on a feature called "System Restore" to roll back their Windows installation to a time before they installed Media Player 9 Series if the want to uninstall it. The clunky alternative doesn't really remove all Windows Media Player 9 Series files and could potentially wipe out other system changes.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    I last upgraded away from M$office to openoffice.org and i don't think i'll ever install micro$oft office again.

why would i ever want to?

openoffice.org reads and writes word files fine and the suite can use M$office file types [.doc .csv etc.] as if they were native.

Thanks for the tip on DRM muchspl2, do you know what effects DRM has on a system?

luckily for me, the solution for win98 is simple;

Originally posted by http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html
    Users running Windows 98 SE or Windows 2000 can easily uninstall the media player using the operating systems' "Add or Remove Programs" feature, a typical means of getting rid of unwanted software. This option is not available on Windows Me or XP because of the media player's deep integration into the operating systems, Caulton said.

"Windows 2000 doesn't have the issues with deep media integration into the shell, the way Windows Millennium Edition and Windows XP have," Caulton said.

"This is really an OS upgrade," Caulton said of Windows Media Player 9 Series. "If you imagine a situation with an XP user who has got all these links into media capabilities...and you updated to Windows Media Player 9 Series and removed it, all those become dead links."
    moral of the story: avoid ME & XP!
    M$ are such fascists, of cause their products would be the only ones anyone would use for media capabilities.
    'This is really an OS upgrade' that's why it is distributed as 'media player 9' so that users will install it without questioning too much

openoffice.org is better than M$office, what are better alternatives to WMP9?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12