Thread: Bogus Files

Here I am not referring to those fake mp3's etc that RIAA and whoever upload.
    and nor am i referring to viruses

as its pretty easy to guess the intent of these

however quite frequently i see files which are far too small to be whatever it says it is, and tend to contain filename extentions such as

.exe.asf
    or a mixture of other extentions (not necessarily executable ones), or just a jpg with a description of something that should be 100's of MB and its like 22 k

or often files which have a bunch of random words from about a dozen different places (similar to how some websites get hits by having a list of very commonly searched words)

just that there doesn't seem to be any reason i can think of for someone wanting to do that. (eg not a virus, and best way to introduce corrupted mp3s would be by making a realistically sized file)

that said one username (and i know these are not unique) that i keep seeing popup justabout every time with these files is "erica@kazaa" i'd be interested to know if others see this username almost everywhere there is a bogus file.

generally i try to message anyone who i know has one of these stupid files, or a file that is a virus, so that they might remove it. of course generally the message doesn't go through.

one last little thing... how does kazaa come up with the description/keyword, and a number of the other fields (if you leave your mouse over a searched file) - filename and say filesize of course are obvious. but i don't see where some of this other info is stored..

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by jim1013@21 October 2003 - 15:36
    just that there doesn't seem to be any reason i can think of for someone wanting to do that.
    Schadenfreude.

one last little thing... how does kazaa come up with the description/keyword, and a number of the other fields (if you leave your mouse over a searched file) - filename and say filesize of course are obvious. but i don't see where some of this other info is stored..
    Go to "My Kazaa Lite" right click on the file and choose edit details, then these are stored on your computer in "C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Kazaa Lite\db" (or some variation of this path, depends on your OS and/or install)

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Tis pretty sad that we've got people out there that seem to get a kick out of having people downloading 20 k files which aren't what they say they are! but oh well. guess theres also too many fools that get sucked in and download it too!

Cheers for that info.. now i can strip some of the ridiculous, inacurate, and useless stuff out of those file descriptions for the files i am sharing (nothing worse than misleading info&#33

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I HATE FAKE MOVIES!! ESPECIALLY ONES THAT WON'T PREVIEW...EVEN USING MEDIAPEEK.

TAKES ALL DAY TO DL 700,000+KB....AND IT&#39;S A F&*(KED UP OLD BRITISH MOVIE. I&#39;D LIKE TO KICK WHOMEVER&#39;S ASSES THAT&#39;S DOING THAT ON PURPOSE. I SHARE OVER 50 <<<REAL>>> MOVIES, MAYBE I WILL START RENAMING AND META TAGGING ALL MY MOVIES AND SEE HOW PISSED OFF I CAN GET SOMEONE ELSE?????