Thread: The industry knows what your neighbours download

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Did you know that the entertainment industry pays huge amounts of money for IP geolocation services?

Not for legal reasons or to press charges against filesharers. They analyse the IP locations in filesharing networks like bittorrent to find out what's popular in what country/region/city.

Some people even say that advanced copies of music or movies are leaked by the industry on purpose. When a movie or a CD does well on bittorrent, it'll always do well in retail sales. There are countless examples to prove this. The more a movie is downloaded, the more profit it'll make.

Of course they always claim to fight piracy and P2P. At the same time they use it as a helpful tool for market and consumer research.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 03-13-2010 at 09:24 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    *shocked*
    Go Leafs Go.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    There are countless examples to prove this.
    Interesting... where do we find these then?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I'd comment further but it would obviously be like trying to reason with a dung beetle.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Perhaps, rather than using this to combat piracy, it's really just to gain a higher ground in terms of advertising and knowing their customer base?

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...esearch-398658

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    maybe for future purposes when there´s a cinema in every house

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Hombre's Avatar Finish Him !!!! BT Rep: +1
    source? or it's fake.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    kurdt's Avatar Death From Above
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Some people even say that advanced copies of music or movies are leaked by the industry on purpose. When a movie or a CD does well on bittorrent, it'll always do well in retail sales. There are countless examples to prove this. The more a movie is downloaded, the more profit it'll make.

those people *may* be confusing correlation with causation. I am all for bittorrent and filesharing. movies should be free. but I don't delude myself that a movie doing well on bittorrent *causes* it to do well in theaters. isn't it more likely that a movie for which there is high demand, for whatever reason, will be downloaded more AND watched more in theaters due to the high demand that existed before the movie was even leaked?

In any case, there is no proof that one causes the other. Just that the two, high downloads and high sales, occur together. And that's what you would expect if there was high demand to begin with.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by kurdt View Post

those people *may* be confusing correlation with causation.
    They most likely are.

Popular bands have lots of fans. They will sell lots of cds, and will also lose alot on piracy, and it's all because some people prefer downloading, and (believe it or not) some people prefer buying music. If pirating music directly affected chart ratings there might be some logic behind this statement, but piracy does not move an album up on the billboard 200.
    Last edited by TrueSounds; 03-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    sake's Avatar V12 BiTurbo BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    It`s logical. I agree that this could be true.