Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop For Office...

Poster
    I hate Gateway, Compaq takes bout 6 weeks 2 receive a new laptop, and Dell just screwed me over. I ordered a Dell Laptop Centrino 1.6 on October 1st, needed it by the 15th (my office opened another satellite office in a nearby town). 2day i received an email from dell telling me the laptop wouldn't ship till after Novemeber 5th - so i cancelled it.

anyone know where i can get a good laptop w/xp pro in like a week? i can spend up 2 2400 bucks.

thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl2
    circuit city or best buy, not the best deals, but sure you can find a store locally

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@22 October 2003 - 21:04
    circuit city or best buy, not the best deals, but sure you can find a store locally
    those stores only sell w/xp home.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl2
    you don't have a copy of xp pro on disk somewhere
    they carry a few different models, if you got a restoration disk for another smiler laptop, you *should* be able to just upgrade to xp pro
    if not, buy a copy of xp pro or download it and use a key from a different computer that you purchased that had xp pro on

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@22 October 2003 - 22:03
    you don't have a copy of xp pro on disk somewhere
    they carry a few different models, if you got a restoration disk for another smiler laptop, you *should* be able to just upgrade to xp pro
    if not, buy a copy of xp pro or download it and use a key from a different computer that you purchased that had xp pro on
    that's my point - i know i could purchase xp pro upg, but it costs 200 bucks for the upgrade (even from xp home). i have 2 have it licensed, since it is an office machine and we're stringent about licensing here.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    muchspl2
    now I'm curios, what does the pro version have that home doesn't ?
    never was bothered to find out, always had the pro

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@22 October 2003 - 22:13
    can't log in2 a domain controller w/home edition.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I heard Pro edition was supposed to be a tiny bit more stable and faster is that true?
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by muchspl2@22 October 2003 - 22:13
    I've read that pro is a LOT more network friendly than the home version. As in Home cant do some of the network stuff that Pro can. so far as it being more stable or faster, I have read anything about it being moreso, and I dont own either one, so I really cant say.

wish I had advice on where you could get one premade with the pro upgrade, but the only way that I know of to get it as part of the package, is to order it from a manufacturer with the upgrade in the package.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by darkewolf+25 October 2003 - 03:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (darkewolf @ 25 October 2003 - 03:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@22 October 2003 - 22:13
    now I&#39;m curios, what does the pro version have that home doesn&#39;t ?
    I&#39;ve read that pro is a LOT more network friendly than the home version. As in Home cant do some of the network stuff that Pro can. so far as it being more stable or faster, I have read anything about it being moreso, and I dont own either one, so I really cant say.

wish I had advice on where you could get one premade with the pro upgrade, but the only way that I know of to get it as part of the package, is to order it from a manufacturer with the upgrade in the package. [/b][/quote]
    i called dell against my beter judgement, and now i have an account rep there that PROMISED me i would have my laptop by next week. we&#39;ll c.

i don&#39;t like 2 hafta call some1 2 buy a pc, but if it&#39;s gonna save me time, i will. bastards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast