Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like it passed.

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Health care reform's right at our doorstep, heading to Obama:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/...ex.html?hpt=T1

How it could affect you:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/19...ex.html?hpt=C2

Oh and you can always count on Republicans to spout arrogant bullcrap when someone else is speaking:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/...ex.html?hpt=C1

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    And we all will now have precisely the same health care our senators and representatives do.

I know this to be true by applying the caveat that says we should believe the exact opposite of what Foxnews reports.

Edit:

Does congress have to wait until 2014 for benefits to kick in?
    Last edited by j2k4; 03-22-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    While i'm not crazy like the republicans you see on tv..ESPECIALLY the social conservatives.. I still do not like this bill at all.

Why do you think its a right that the federal government should provide health care to all? I honestly do not believe the central government was designed to do these kinds of public works. What would you say now.. after this is passed that now all americans should have the right of free transportation. I mean think of all the poor families that cannot take their children to doctors appointments and those struggling to get to work. I think we should provide each american a car. How can we afford this.. oh just tax the rich.. they don't really need the money. I think health care is a luxury. It sounds evil because one can argue.. If you are against health care then that means your pro suffering. But its not like that.

What especially does not make ANY sense to me (from your article) is this

"once the exchanges open, insurers will no longer be able to turn away people with pre-existing conditions or charge them more"
    Take away the human element of health care. All it is.. is just statistics. Premiums are based on expectations, mean time to failure, confidence intervals, its not magic or greed just numbers. If smokers have a higher mean time to failure than non-smokers.. why should they pay the same? The only solution to have a company make money is to charge a much higher price.

And denying pre-existing conditions.. ridiculous. A company should be able to choose who it wants to do business with. Oh hai I have superaids that will cost about 15,000 a month for the rest of my life.. but I only feel like paying 300 a month so thats why I am making you buy it for me.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    From my brief understanding of it all, Canadian healthcare is funded by taxes so as to make it pretty much free within norms for everyone. The new US bill makes purchasing health insurance mandatory, but it will offer discounts on it, or something? So does that mean the insurance industry in the USA will get a sudden boom in their business, from all the increased govt tax spending going into that field?

How do the American posters feel about their new mandatory healthcare? Good use of, or waste of tax resources?

The drawbacks for Canadian system are
    -longer wait times
    -higher class citizens pay the brunt of the costs (is also a pro)
    -probably would not even be feasible in the US without a significant tax increase?
    Last edited by TrueSounds; 03-22-2010 at 07:37 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post

Oh and you can always count on Republicans to spout arrogant bullcrap when someone else is speaking:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/...ex.html?hpt=C1
    Oh yeah, because Democrats never, ever do that.

yo

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Oh yeah, because Democrats never, ever do that.
    Do they?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    "This is a big fucking deal" - Joe Biden, overheard commemorating the blessed event.

Now, that's class.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    The f-word offends you?
    Politicians don't talk like normal people?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    I certainly would have refrained under those circumstances.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    But it is a big fucking deal.

Not only did we take the first step towards rational health care but it also denotes the first death rattle of the Republican party.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast