Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Buy "centrino"?

Poster
    i bought both a p42.4 and a centrino 1.6. lamsey is right, most centrino's come w/wireless networking built right in.

the dell centrino we have seems faster than the gateway p4, and the dell is about 2lbs lighter as well.

oh yeah, we use mathlab on em 2!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Centrino is not a type of CPU, it is a set of technologies in the motherboard chipset designed for laptops.
    Yep. It's' a marketing ploy to make you think it's something special, when in reality, the chipset is based on standard protocols(e.g. 80211b/g wireless) and their performance.

No biggie, you'll get the same performance out of any laptop[with similar hardware].

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by harrycary@25 October 2003 - 01:42
    Centrino is not a type of CPU, it is a set of technologies in the motherboard chipset designed for laptops.
    Yep. It's' a marketing ploy to make you think it's something special, when in reality, the chipset is based on standard protocols(e.g. 80211b/g wireless) and their performance.

No biggie, you'll get the same performance out of any laptop[with similar hardware].
    what are you talking about?

The centrino's have the pentium "m," an entirely different microprocessor architechture! As well as the wireles standard...

they have 1 MB L2 cache as opposed to the P4's 512 Kb

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I just wanna thank you all for helping me,
    i think i'll go with "Centrino" if i'll find one with good price.

thanks again.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    i think centrinos are pentium4 just at slower speeds

U RNT LEET LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    centrino is what you will want to get if you are going to get a labtop for wireless uses... I have heard only good things about them, they are great for ewhat you are talking about, a bit more expensive, but you get much longer roaming time with the labtop, My mom has one at her IT job, and she is pleased, i got on it, and it runs all the buisness apps really well...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Centrino isn't a processor. It's a hardware bundle of Intel products.

The designation of "Centrino" merely means that the computer has a Pentium M processor, Intel mobile chipset, and 802.11a wireless.

That's as I understand it. But notice that it uses the 802.11a [wireless] standard which is kinda useless. More prevalent are wireless access points utilizing the 802.11b or 802.11g standard. Certainly worth researching before buying anything.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Originally posted by harrycary@3 November 2003 - 17:50

The designation of "Centrino" merely means that the computer has a Pentium M processor, Intel mobile chipset, and 802.11a wireless.

That's as I understand it. But notice that it uses the 802.11a [wireless] standard which is kinda useless. More prevalent are wireless access points utilizing the 802.11b or 802.11g standard. Certainly worth researching before buying anything.
    that is exaxtly right. It is basically another way intel can bundel a bunch of its hardware and make more money. The important thing is the pentium 4 M because it is very fast and very good battery performance.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary@3 November 2003 - 23:50

u r correct - but i think they've updated it 2 802.11g, since i just purchased a dell that came with the g standard.

i friggin love wireless - and soon it will b faster than wired.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an@4 November 2003 - 04:26
    i friggin love wireless - and soon it will b faster than wired.
    wireless will probably never be faster than wires, i mean u have gigabit network cards at the moment, and the g standard is only 54mbs i think.
    and u also have fiberoptics etc, which will be alot fatser, and also connections isps use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast