Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am a small businessman...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...and as such employ a number of people; this circumstance gives rise to my question:

By what historical reason, rationale or imperative am I charged with the responsibility to not only pay my employees what is somewhat amorphously referred to as a "living wage", I am expected to provide health insurance coverage, and assume financial responsibility for this provision.

Where/how did this custom begin?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I believe it began as a perk, a way to entice qualified people into the sweatshop you ran.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Well, I don't run a sweatshop.

Besides which, you didn't answer my question.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I thought I answered the "how" part and have no idea of the "where".
    Perhaps it was Henry Ford, who famously doubled his workers daily salary in order to feed the expanding maw of the FMC.

What difference do "where and how" make anyway?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Okay, never mind the where or how.

How did it become a requirement?

I understand perfectly the perceived "convenience", and do not necessarily object to being the conduit by which coverage is procured, but how did it become an expectation that the business foot the bill, in part or in full?

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Well I think it's the ideal that people should be entitled to health care, it is a right of nature that they receive so. Other countries have some form or way to provide health care for a lot of its citizens, so it seems the same is being done here. It was said before that US was the only developed country that had not provide "universal health care" I believe.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    How did it become a requirement?

I understand perfectly the perceived "convenience", and do not necessarily object to being the conduit by which coverage is procured, but how did it become an expectation that the business foot the bill, in part or in full?
    Dunno, I haven't had health insurance since 1983.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    The practice of employer provided health insurance was actually started by larger companies to prevent their employees from leaving.
    Last edited by mothis; 03-27-2010 at 04:07 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    ...and as such employ a number of people; this circumstance gives rise to my question:

By what historical reason, rationale or imperative am I charged with the responsibility to not only pay my employees what is somewhat amorphously referred to as a "living wage", I am expected to provide health insurance coverage, and assume financial responsibility for this provision.

Where/how did this custom begin?
    Your question has been answered by Clocker. If you want the right staff you have to pay them what the other chappie pays or lose them. Anyway you don't pay for it. Your customers pay for it, unless you are the first capitalist in the world to absorb all the costs and not pass them on to the customers, plus a wee bit extra for yourself and investors.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Maybe you need to eat more.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast