Thread: Firewall

Hi everyone. I got a problem I can't handle alone, I'm not that intelligent with computers. My mother got a pop-up last night from a guy whom she is battling on a auction site (don't ask me, she's nuts). She said it was gray, which led me to believe it was a Messenger Service Pop-Up. However, I had those disabled, because they're annoying. I thought perhaps it had to do with him doing something with our IP, and I planned on getting a firewall. Is that the right step, or is there another method of stopping this intrusion? Your help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl2
    zone alarm is pretty simple to set up and they still have a free version I think, and I would also recommend running Ad aware

if you got messenger services turned off, then it was a pop up of some kind, just get a pop up stopper

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by muchspl2@24 October 2003 - 15:48
    zone alarm is pretty simple to set up and they still have a free version I think, and I would also recommend running Ad aware

if you got messenger services turned off, then it was a pop up of some kind, just get a pop up stopper
    Cool, thanks for the help. I already got Ad Aware, suppose I'll get zone alarm if this occurs again. ^_^

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Soma Cruz+24 October 2003 - 20:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Soma Cruz &#064; 24 October 2003 - 20:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@24 October 2003 - 15:48

Cool, thanks for the help. I already got Ad Aware, suppose I&#39;ll get zone alarm if this occurs again. ^_^ [/b][/quote]
    SpyBot seek and destroy is a hella better spyware scanner than adaware ever was, I recommend it, and it&#39;s totally freeware. Zone Alarm is a decent free firewall, but it gives a lot of false positives (saying you are being attacked when you arent). Sygate (www.sygate.com) is another good freebie, but it doesnt give you full protection unless you pay them for it, in which case you are better off going with sygate pro.

edit: Not trying to crack on muchspl&#39;s advice- s/he&#39;s a good one just offering a different view and additional info

grey box. hrm..without seeing it, I&#39;d say that it was either a messenger popup, or possibly a telnet message. Or possibly he found a trojan port on her comp. If messenger was turned off, then the first two would be hacks, if it was the second, then she needs to virus scan and clean out the comp.
    edit: it never hurts to do that on a regular basis anyway

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Get ZoneAlarm here
    its the best free firewall available period

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --