Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Nears 30% of Worldwide Market Share

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Firefox Nears 30% of Worldwide Market Share
    April 2, 2010

" Mozilla this week released its first ever quarterly analyst report and according to Mozilla, Firefox is accounting for nearly 40 percent of the browser market share in Europe and nearly 30 percent worldwide.

Mozilla's numbers are a combination of market share numbers from StatCounter, Quantcast, Net Applications, and Gemius. For each continent, the company calculated an average of the figures reported by these sources and used this figure as the percentage. Mozilla says the number of Firefox users noted in parentheses for each continent is an estimate based on its own metrics.

Market share aside, Mozilla also provided some interesting data about its users in the United States. By looking at the distribution of daily Firefox “update” pings from users, the company took a week’s worth of data and broke it down by hour and then by state to see which states are more likely to start up Firefox at any given time. From the looks of things, people in New York appear least likely to start up their browser during the 6 a.m., 7 a.m., and 8 a.m. hours. People in Hawaii appear to be most likely to start using their browser during the 6 a.m., 7 a.m., and 8 a.m. hours.

If you're looking for an East Coast vs. West Coast comparison, it looks a little something like this.

The study contains a bunch of other interesting bits and pieces, like how many tabs the average user has open (average of 2 and 3 but one user had 600 open at once) and which country in the world is more into add-ons and personalizing their browsers. "

Source: Firefox Nears 30% of Worldwide Market Share Homepage: Tom's Guide Download Link: Analyst Report

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Go FF!!
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    I was a hard core Firefox user, no question it is good - lots of great 3rd party plugins etc for it plus the security benefits and so on, but Chrome is the one to watch. I'm loving that browser (yes I know it's another incarnation of the same engine that Safari uses but what the hell!)

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstate View Post
    I was a hard core Firefox user, no question it is good - lots of great 3rd party plugins etc for it plus the security benefits and so on, but Chrome is the one to watch. I'm loving that browser (yes I know it's another incarnation of the same engine that Safari uses but what the hell!)
    Safari using Webkit doesn't make it bad at all. Safari is in fact a good browser (in OSX), but Chrome is superior than anything on any OS.

Anywho cheers to Firefox.

I hope Mozilla fixes the memory leaks soon, because by the time my Firefox loads I check my Gmail with Google Chrome.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    I'm not surprised by these numbers. Now with chrome out it may change.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Usenet Dinosaur
    Hmm, maybe I should check out Chrome. I've been using FF for a while now and I like it a lot, but I'm always up for something better.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    it was a free browser .. isnt it ?

what does it have to do with share and stuffs

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by anoneemuse View Post
    it was a free browser .. isnt it ?

what does it have to do with share and stuffs
    "The latest P2P, Software and Hardware News."

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Twig View Post
    I'm not surprised by these numbers. Now with chrome out it may change.
    Only problem with Chrome is this constant "The webpage is not available".
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Unthinkable's Avatar (C) BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Firefox FTW :x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast