Thread: Dsl Drops In Price Again

Poster
    Wow!

I just saw a commercial on TV. SBC is offering DSL now for $26.95 a month!

That's only $3 a month more than AOL, and much faster!

Let's look at the technical side.

When we say 56K, we don't mean kiloBYTES we mean kiloBITS. Don't ask why we have the confusion. Now, there are 8 bits in a byte, so 56K means you can transfer 7 kilyBYTES per second because 7kb*8 bits/byte=56k. Modem internet aka Dialup is Synchronous (sp?) meaning that 7k is divided between upstream (uploads, sending) and downstream (downloading, receiving), so you could have about 3.5k either way or 6k down and 1k up.

Pretty crappy.

My DSL connection tops out at 185 kiloBYTES per second. Versus 7 for 56K. Therefore DSL is about 26 times faster than 56K. If you want to think in terms of 56K, having DSL would be like having 1480K. Actually, it's called 1.5 megaBIT. DSL, however, is Asynchronous (sp?) meaning you can have full downstream, and upstream is rated differently. My upstream is 128K, or 16 kiloBYTES per second. I can be uploading AND downloading at near my limit on both sides, neither affecting the other. Now, I've heard if you max out one, it can affect the other. With Kazaa Lite, it's really hard to max out downloading, and they have a config tool that sets your max upload to just under your limit so as to prevent that.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Yep.DSL Lite is what they call it here.Not as fast as normal DSL.Unless you can just get it real cheap there.

DSL Lite is $30 a Month and you get 256Kbps Download and 128Kbps Upload.

We are still Paying $45 for full DSL and get 1.5Mbps DownLoad and
    256Kbps Upload.I know it sucks...but I am not really complaining too much.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by DarkReality@27 October 2003 - 00:57
    Wow!

I just saw a commercial on TV. SBC is offering DSL now for $26.95 a month!

That's only $3 a month more than AOL, and much faster!

Let's look at the technical side.

When we say 56K, we don't mean kiloBYTES we mean kiloBITS. Don't ask why we have the confusion. Now, there are 8 bits in a byte, so 56K means you can transfer 7 kilyBYTES per second because 7kb*8 bits/byte=56k. Modem internet aka Dialup is Synchronous (sp?) meaning that 7k is divided between upstream (uploads, sending) and downstream (downloading, receiving), so you could have about 3.5k either way or 6k down and 1k up.

Pretty crappy.

My DSL connection tops out at 185 kiloBYTES per second. Versus 7 for 56K. Therefore DSL is about 26 times faster than 56K. If you want to think in terms of 56K, having DSL would be like having 1480K. Actually, it's called 1.5 megaBIT. DSL, however, is Asynchronous (sp?) meaning you can have full downstream, and upstream is rated differently. My upstream is 128K, or 16 kiloBYTES per second. I can be uploading AND downloading at near my limit on both sides, neither affecting the other. Now, I've heard if you max out one, it can affect the other. With Kazaa Lite, it's really hard to max out downloading, and they have a config tool that sets your max upload to just under your limit so as to prevent that.
    asynchronous just means that your download and your upload speed isnt the same for example 1.5 mbit down and 256 kb up.
    synchronous means that your downlaod and your upload speed is the same.

We are still Paying $45 for 1.5Mbps UpLoad and
    256Kbps Download.I know it sucks...but I am not really Complaing too much.
    FC i suppose you mean 1.5Mbps DOWN and 256 UP?

but hey we pay 48€ for 256 down and 128 up.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

4. Lounge   -   #4
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Benno@26 October 2003 - 19:42
    We are still Paying $45 for 1.5Mbps UpLoad and
    256Kbps Download.I know it sucks...but I am not really Complaing too much.
    FC i suppose you mean 1.5Mbps DOWN and 256 UP?
    Yes....I changed it.