Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feds And The Riaa

mgray3k's Avatar Member
    We see it all Over the News, well anyways My brother wants to Know How Do they track you if your Downloading from K-lite. is There a Law that says "P2P" Is Illegal?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    They don't care if u are downloading only if u are sharing alot of .mp3s like 500+ so if u are scared just don't share alot of them. But that doesn't mean don't share, u can shared something else

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    They got to have some sort tool I recon though.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    What?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    It's not that hard to figure out someone's IP from Kazaa. A simple netstat command during a transfer will give you the answer, although I doubt that's what they do.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    I remember hearing something about how they do it. I think they used some kind of tool (like Wizzandabe said) that basically does a search for a hash of a popular file and stores the ip's that the supernode sends back in some kind of database along with the file name, date, and time. They do that with a lot of the popular files and they can easily pick out the ip addresses of people that are sharing the most of 'their' music. Then they can easily do a whois to find out the ISP of the person, which they force to tell who each person is.

So that's why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they'd just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you'll be fine unless you're sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3's.

And for your second question, P2P itself isn't illegal; what's illegal is using it for copyright infringment -- sharing copyrighted music, for example.
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by DrSpud@6 November 2003 - 20:06
    So that's why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they'd just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you'll be fine unless you're sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3's.
    Considering no one using the privacy patch etc has been sued so far, I wouldn't say it's useless. Not perfect maybe, but it must be doing something.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by DasScoot+7 November 2003 - 01:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DasScoot @ 7 November 2003 - 01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DrSpud@6 November 2003 - 20:06
    So that&#39;s why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they&#39;d just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you&#39;ll be fine unless you&#39;re sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3&#39;s.
    Considering no one using the privacy patch etc has been sued so far, I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s useless. Not perfect maybe, but it must be doing something. [/b][/quote]
    I think that they&#39;re gonna be using the path of least resistance to catch people but let&#39;s face it if you&#39;re sharing a LOT of files then you make yourself a bigger target...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by Withcheese+7 November 2003 - 01:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 7 November 2003 - 01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by DasScoot@7 November 2003 - 01:03
    <!--QuoteBegin-DrSpud
    @6 November 2003 - 20:06
    So that&#39;s why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they&#39;d just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you&#39;ll be fine unless you&#39;re sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3&#39;s.

Considering no one using the privacy patch etc has been sued so far, I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s useless. Not perfect maybe, but it must be doing something.
    I think that they&#39;re gonna be using the path of least resistance to catch people but let&#39;s face it if you&#39;re sharing a LOT of files then you make yourself a bigger target... [/b][/quote]
    But if you use the privacy patch, they have no way of telling *how many* files you&#39;re sharing. That&#39;s the whole point.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    K-Dat and KaZuperNodes are almost TAILOR-MADE tools for what RIAA is doing.

I think there&#39;s more than a LITTLE truth to KMD&#39;s claims that RIAA is using Kazaa Lite...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast