Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive

Ok, I moved my current hard drive to a new computer. The new computer detects the hard drive and is detecting extremly slowly. I have to wait at least 5 minutes for BIOS to go to the second screen. Well my problem is that FDISK can not access drive 1. (the hard drive) This computer although, can detect this hard drive perfectly. Please help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    check the jumper settings are set to master, also have you got another hardrive installed as a slave? some drives interfere with each other and if they both set to cable select it may be taking a while to decide which is master etc. also check the settings in bios, are they set to auto detect?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by boyzeee@27 October 2003 - 19:18
    check the jumper settings are set to master, also have you got another hardrive installed as a slave? some drives interfere with each other and if they both set to cable select it may be taking a while to decide which is master etc. also check the settings in bios, are they set to auto detect?
    My jumper settings are set to master. It is also set to auto detect.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    is it the only drive?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    What is your primary & secondary ide cable setup? What is on the primary & secondary as master & slave? What is the boot order? Do both HDD's have OS's & what are they? Etc. etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Windows does not detect any hard drives.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    eh? windows must detect a hardrive if you are able to actually open windows? as i said before has your system got more than one hardrive, ie are there two hardrives fitted?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Alright so you don't want my input. OK. GL.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by zapjb@28 October 2003 - 01:43
    Alright so you don't want my input. OK. GL.
    your input is very welcome zapjb, still trying to find out how many drives are in the system before we go any further

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    im assuming you have 2 hardrives in your system and the one windows doesnt see is the slave, right click on "my computer" and click "manage" then disc management, now see if the hardrive is shown? if it is you probably have to import the disc or bring it online, do this by right clicking on the drive and selecting what option is there. if the disc isnt shown then the jumpers on ya master or slave are probably set wrong. some hardrives you need to set the jumpers as master with slave, see if yours is this type, if it is just set to master or standalone it may not see the other drive. now ya slave drive needs to set as slave(obviously) check these things and then we can go forward

edit... if you can give me the make and model numbers of ya drives and which one is master and which one is slave i will look them up for the correct jumper settings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast