Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling:your Opinions

_John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Bump

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    good guide. wish i had the money to buy this. (sigh) anyways, yes. he's rite. not sure bout the water wetter? huh?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by TheFilePirater@27 October 2003 - 18:44
    allthough i wouldnt mind watercooling kit under the xmas tree this year.... B)
    personally i'm not sure if i believe water cooling will be especially desirable for PCs for very much longer, if the so-called "on-chip liquid-cooling" technology works out well. what i'm talking about doesn't involve water or a pump, but a thin layer (microscopic, even?) of liquid built onto the CPU to aid in cooling. and the upcoming BTX motherboard/case standard is supposed to provide much better ventilation than ATX.

i'm really hoping for a transition to passive cooling (no fans, no pumps) by the entire PC industry. i think there is a growing demand for quieter electronics because more & more people are getting tired of their machines making so much noise. the industry needs to pay more attention to developing efficient passive cooling.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Bravo Brainiac!

I too hope for a better solution.
    While they are at it I hope they can upgrade the connector situation also.
    Those damn tiny little one wire connectors on a line of pins buried at the bottom of the motherboard really suck.
    I'm not a big fan of Molex's either.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+29 October 2003 - 06:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 29 October 2003 - 06:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheFilePirater@27 October 2003 - 18:44
    allthough i wouldnt mind watercooling kit under the xmas tree this year.... B)
    personally i&#39;m not sure if i believe water cooling will be especially desirable for PCs for very much longer, if the so-called "on-chip liquid-cooling" technology works out well. what i&#39;m talking about doesn&#39;t involve water or a pump, but a thin layer (microscopic, even?) of liquid built onto the CPU to aid in cooling. and the upcoming BTX motherboard/case standard is supposed to provide much better ventilation than ATX.

i&#39;m really hoping for a transition to passive cooling (no fans, no pumps) by the entire PC industry. i think there is a growing demand for quieter electronics because more & more people are getting tired of their machines making so much noise. the industry needs to pay more attention to developing efficient passive cooling. [/b][/quote]
    yea, i&#39;ve cn one of those. but u have to buy a separate thing for each chip that u want to cool, and the wc system would be cheaper

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Lick My Lovepump
    In the future I bet all PCs will come in fridges.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Mad Cat@31 October 2003 - 15:26
    In the future I bet all PCs will come in fridges.
    Jeez, I hope not.

This guy will be your home repair computer tech if that&#39;s true...

I hope that extreme cooling measures of any kind will soon be history.
    It&#39;s really only an issue because for the past decade the manufacturers have concentrated on massively increasing clock speed in order to up the performance of their products.
    If they would radically change the architecture of the chips (I&#39;m sure they&#39;d love to, and no, I don&#39;t know how either... ) so that speed was overshadowed by efficiency, then heat would cease to be the big problem that it is now.
    I&#39;m sure that it&#39;s going to happen.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by clocker@29 October 2003 - 07:02
    Bravo Brainiac&#33;

I too hope for a better solution.
    While they are at it I hope they can upgrade the connector situation also.
    Those damn tiny little one wire connectors on a line of pins buried at the bottom of the motherboard really suck.
    I&#39;m not a big fan of Molex&#39;s either.
    okay, it had been a while since i&#39;d read this report, but this is what i was referring to. i was wrong about a few points-- it does use water (although it sounds possible that they could switch to some other liquid by the time it&#39;s released), it does feature a pump, but it&#39;s still radically different from traditional heatsink and watercooling products.

http://www.businesswire.com/photowire/pw.1...232795408.shtml

the circulation of liquid is an active element and it is much closer to the chip than with previous equipment (where you&#39;d have the heatsink --a passive part-- directly on the chip, and then an active part such as a fan or water pump is stacked on top of it).

basically they&#39;re managing to make it effectively more active while creating the appearance of passiveness by eliminating the moving parts and the noise that goes with it. whether it is active or passive in theory, i think getting rid of moving parts in the cooling system is the most important goal.

and here&#39;s a nice little article which talks about BTX and explains how it&#39;s supposed to contribute to smaller cases, better ventilation, and quieter operation.
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1876

the PicoBTX form factor looks awesome, because it appears to be only slightly larger than a laptop computer.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    hmm... doesn&#39;t the new G5 have water cooling??? i think so i don&#39;t think it a traditional water cooler either... i wonder if could buy it seperate... for REPAIR issues of course... lol not gonna slap it in mine&#33;&#33; well yes i will but my G5 at work is quiet as hell, don&#39;t even know its on... hmmm thanks for replying guys... they have come out with a passive radiater guys only wieghs in at 3 pounds of i think steel. it is avaiable somewhere not sure... thanks for all the input&#33;&#33;&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by SciManAl@1 November 2003 - 13:47
    hmm... doesn&#39;t the new G5 have water cooling??? i think so i don&#39;t think it a traditional water cooler either... i wonder if could buy it seperate... for REPAIR issues of course... lol not gonna slap it in mine&#33;&#33; well yes i will but my G5 at work is quiet as hell, don&#39;t even know its on... hmmm thanks for replying guys... they have come out with a passive radiater guys only wieghs in at 3 pounds of i think steel. it is avaiable somewhere not sure... thanks for all the input&#33;&#33;&#33;
    mac company don&#39;t know wat water cooling is&#33; lol. no, g5&#39;s don&#39;t have wc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast