Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: socialized or privatized cleanup?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    BP should be paying the entire ticket, compensating any entities enlisted to help, including the U.S.

If BP is slow on the uptake, and an honest appraisal (good luck with that) of the environmental threat indicates more need be done, unilateral action should be taken with costs accruing to BP.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    But aren't the scariest words ever muttered "I from the government and I'm here to help"?
    Who said anything about government?
    Who besides the gubmint could compel BP to live up to their obligations?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    惡魔的提倡者
    But aren't the scariest words ever muttered "I from the government and I'm here to help"?
    Read the question.

Should government be cleaning this up/trying to limit the damage as they are doing at the moment or should it be left to the free market?

Should the feds be saying "not our problem" ?
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 05-06-2010 at 02:23 AM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Read the question.

Should government be cleaning this up/trying to limit the damage as they are doing at the moment or should it be left to the free market?

They bailed out the financial institutions when they got into deep water. Why not BP?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Who should pay for the cleanup of this oil disaster? for that matter who should be cleaning it up?

May those that died rest in peace, my sympathies go to the families.
    How very nice of them

BP is (purportedly) wholly financially liable for the environmental aspect; I heard today their domestic liability (lost private income; think shrimp-boats, fishing, tourism, etc.) stops at 170 million.

I don't think that'll go very far.
    I believe there has been a bill introduced to change that to 10 billion +/- and hopefully be retroactive

Edit; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100503/...pill_liability

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.
    Economic losses to the Gulf Coast are likely to exceed that. In response, several Democratic senators introduced legislation Monday to raise the liability limit to $10 billion, though it was not clear that it could be made to apply retroactively.
    Thanks for both answering the financial part, but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?
    ... but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?
    BP should be paying the entire ticket, compensating any entities enlisted to help, including the U.S.

If BP is slow on the uptake, and an honest appraisal (good luck with that) of the environmental threat indicates more need be done, unilateral action should be taken with costs accruing to BP.

If you will read your own post, you will see that I answered your first question wherein is found no reference to the "government".

My question regarding the interjection of "government" into the cleanup operation was meant to convey merely that it wasn't me who did it, it was you.

If your intent is to ascertain my opinion re: it's involvement, I suggest you use my posting history here as your guide, rather than carp (once again,again,again) about how I'm not answering your fucking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Read the question.

They bailed out the financial institutions when they got into deep water. Why not BP?
    Oh, ffs.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    惡魔的提倡者
    If you don't want to give a straight answer why participate? posting nothing is better than non answers, especially since you don't like people making assumptions.

The title of the thread might give you a hint. "socialized or privatized cleanup?"
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 05-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    I heard on talk radio that it might have been blown up by a North Korean sub.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    I heard it was Martians.
    Obama is soft on aliens, you know.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I heard it was Martians.
    Obama is soft on aliens, you know.
    Obama thinks the illegal aliens will eventually get amnesty and then vote for democrats. I think they're wrong, at least over the long term. When there gets to be enough Mexicans up here they will form a viable third party, and the white and black liberals who helped them become citizens will ultimately be betrayed by them. They'll vote for Mexican-American candidates, not white liberals and black liberals.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post

Obama thinks the illegal aliens will eventually get amnesty and then vote for democrats..
    You hadn't mentioned you're a confidant of Barack.
    So, tell us...where does he stand on pie v. cake?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    If you don't want to give a straight answer why participate? posting nothing is better than non answers, especially since you don't like people making assumptions.

The title of the thread might give you a hint. "socialized or privatized cleanup?"
    Well, Jesus jumped-up-fucking Christ, maybe when I said BP should clean it up, you'd have settled for that.

How fucking straight an answer do you need?

Do you require not only BP should clean it up, but also The government should not clean it up?

Now-

I used two motherfucking question marks in my motherfucking straight motherfucking answer; I expect two (2) straight motherfucking answers in return, and I will be the arbiter of whether or not you have fulfilled that requirement.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast