Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: socialized or privatized cleanup?

惡魔的提倡者
    Who should pay for the cleanup of this oil disaster? for that matter who should be cleaning it up?

May those that died rest in peace, my sympathies go to the families.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    BP is responsible and I think they even agreed to pay for the clean up, and they should pay for it.

I've heard $4 a gallon gas will be here again for us this summer. I won't be taking as many trips to Santa Fe at that price.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    BP is (purportedly) wholly financially liable for the environmental aspect; I heard today their domestic liability (lost private income; think shrimp-boats, fishing, tourism, etc.) stops at 170 million.

I don't think that'll go very far.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    BP is responsible and I think they even agreed to pay for the clean up, and they should pay for it.
    How very nice of them

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    BP is (purportedly) wholly financially liable for the environmental aspect; I heard today their domestic liability (lost private income; think shrimp-boats, fishing, tourism, etc.) stops at 170 million.

I don't think that'll go very far.
    I believe there has been a bill introduced to change that to 10 billion +/- and hopefully be retroactive

Edit; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100503/...pill_liability

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.
    Economic losses to the Gulf Coast are likely to exceed that. In response, several Democratic senators introduced legislation Monday to raise the liability limit to $10 billion, though it was not clear that it could be made to apply retroactively.
    Thanks for both answering the financial part, but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 05-04-2010 at 09:06 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    ... what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?
    Wasn't Bobby Jindal- at least briefly- the face of the "Keep Big Gubmint Outta My State!" brigade (otherwise known as Republicans/TeaBaggers)?

Did he not sponsor a bill ((here) encouraging the very same offshore drilling now threatening to destroy his coastline?

Where is the rhetoric and the "firmly held" beliefs now that the rubber finally meets the road?
    Dollars to donuts this whiny little bitch starts complaining about the Federal response any day now.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    惡魔的提倡者
    You doubt the sincerity of their ideology?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    There's an ideology behind all this nonsense?
    Don't tell Sarah Palin...she hates elitist concepts like ideology.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    ... but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?
    BP should be paying the entire ticket, compensating any entities enlisted to help, including the U.S.

If BP is slow on the uptake, and an honest appraisal (good luck with that) of the environmental threat indicates more need be done, unilateral action should be taken with costs accruing to BP.
    Last edited by j2k4; 05-05-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    惡魔的提倡者
    But aren't the scariest words ever muttered "I from the government and I'm here to help"?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    But aren't the scariest words ever muttered "I from the government and I'm here to help"?
    Who said anything about government?

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast