Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EA Blocks Multiplayer Mode on Used Games

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    That's a gem there.

Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    "GameStop is excited to partner with such a forward-thinking publisher as Electronic Arts," said Dan DeMatteo, Chief Executive Officer of GameStop Corp. "This relationship allows us to capitalize on our investments to market and sell downloadable content online, as well as through our network of stores worldwide."
    So I can stop going to GameStop for game reviews altogether now as I know they are biased as fuck. Thanks for that.
    Skiz, you probably "mean" Gamespot? "Gamestop is a used/new game seller"
    [center]

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaje View Post
    The majority of their titles are overpriced and overhyped with very little creativity or originality, with EA ensured that they'll always have buyers.
    You are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz
    So I can stop going to GameStop for game reviews altogether now as I know they are biased as fuck. Thanks for that.
    Does Gamestop offer their own reviews? I know there are customer reviews on the site, but I didn't know the site itself gives their own reviews. Or are you thinking of Gamespot? If so, even take their reviews with a grain of salt(or anyone's for that matter, a review is nothing but some strangers opinion). It's been widely rumored that their reviewers may receive payoffs from publishers/developers for a good score.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    This is getting increasingly annoying that all these companies are going out of their way to cut out the middle men/pirators.

The last two to piss me off was assassins creed 2 (thank god its cracked now) and mass effect 2 with the Cerberus network.

Its a good think I'm not a sports fan as it seems EA is going overboard.

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    I've actually made it a habit to purchase used ps3 games lately though thankfully not a fan of sports games. With that being said go HABS!

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    What I think is really funny though, pick up a game disc you have laying around and it says clearly this game is NOT intended for rental or public appreances, even though here in the US you can rent games form everywhere and anywhere, seriously it really says on the disc itself/manual/box this "game is not for rental"
    It means that disc is not for rental, not the game.
    I've always assumed that rental stores have to buy straight from the manufacturer (and at a higher cost I'm assuming).

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    What I think is really funny though, pick up a game disc you have laying around and it says clearly this game is NOT intended for rental or public appreances, even though here in the US you can rent games form everywhere and anywhere, seriously it really says on the disc itself/manual/box this "game is not for rental"
    It means that disc is not for rental, not the game.
    I've always assumed that rental stores have to buy straight from the manufacturer (and at a higher cost I'm assuming).
    They buy in bulk from some where, if there were smart they would just use Amazon

THQ Locks UFC 2010's Online For Second Hand Purchases

THQ today announced that they would follow in the footsteps of EA and EA Sports with its Online Pass, by locking the online features of UFC 2010 for those who don't purchase the game brand new.

After a leaked copy of UFC 2010 hit the net and the discovery was made, THQ stated that all new copies of the game would come with an unlock code for the online modes while those who get their hands on a non-new copy will have to pay $5 to unlock them.

This is likely to annoy those second hand purchasers out there, but I'm fairly sure THQ and co won't lose any sleep over customers whose money they don't see.

Welcome to the new industry trend, with EA heavily backing it, Ubisoft considering it and now THQ on board, I have a feeling this may spread like wildfire.

Ubisoft May Follow Electronic Arts' Ten Dollar Programme For DLC

Ubisoft has responded to questions regarding future DLC during its fiscal earnings call, stating that the company might resort to following EA's example and adopting the Project Ten Dollar DLC scheme.

The potential move will follow an 18% loss of earnings for Ubisoft for the year, boosted in the final quarter of 2009-2010, riding on sales of Just Dance on the Wii and Assassin's Creed II.

Future Ubisoft releases will presumably adhere to the EA template of packaging exclusive access to DLC with new copies of the game and charging approximately £10/$15 for the same access for those buying the game pre-owned. As such, Ubi DLC will therefore be issued from day one in some cases.

"Most of the games we are releasing next year will have from the start downloadable content available, and we are looking very carefully at what is happening with EA regarding what we are calling the $10 solution, and will probably be following that line sometime in the future," said Ubisoft CFO, Alain Martinez.

Ubi CEO Yves Guillemot threw in his own two cents, stating, "We have been using keys starting last year on our products. Those keys were allowing some customers to have content if they were buying the product in specific stores, so we have the system in place to actually generate more revenue on the second-hand market.

"We are building the content to make sure it can be beneficial for both groups to actually pay enough on one side and on the other side when you don't buy the game as a full game that you're interested to buy the new offering and are interested to pay to get that."

EA introduced the Project Ten Dollar initiative to recoup lost revenue from the sale of used games. Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 both include unique access codes with new copies.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...Purchases.html

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...e-For-DLC.html
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-20-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [center]

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    It sucks, but that's the way they think. Every pirated or used game they count as a loss in profit. The fact that many of those who get their games that way would never buy them in the first place doesen't seem to cross their mind.

8. News (Archive)   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dag128 View Post
    It sucks, but that's the way they think. Every pirated or used game they count as a loss in profit. The fact that many of those who get their games that way would never buy them in the first place doesn't seem to cross their mind.
    Think like a marketer:

Development Cost / Price = Units sold to break even

If people don't want to spend anything on the game, then it's division by zero which cannot exist.

Therefore, to a marketer, people who don't want to buy their shitty game don't exist. They're just pirates. Yarr!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12