Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA Blocks Multiplayer Mode on Used Games

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    EA Blocks Multiplayer Mode on Used Games

Starting with the release of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the publisher will introduce a new Online Pass, a one-time registration code included with each brand new copy of the game. The code allows players to access "online services, features and bonus content."

Those who purchase the game used can buy an Online Pass for $10 or sign up for a free 7-day trial. The pass will be implemented for NCAA Football 11, NHL 11, Madden NFL 11, NBA 11, FIFA 11, and EA Sports MMA as well. The pass offers different features for each title, however, players will not have access to basic multiplayer features if purchased used.

"You will be unable to play multiplayer online game modes or use your downloaded content in online game modes," EA says. Online leagues, dynasty and franchise modes are also only available with the Online Pass. The break down for each title can be seen on the publisher's official website.

"This is an important inflection point in our business because it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhance premium online services to the entire robust EA SPORTS online community," said Peter Moore, President of EA SPORTS.

Despite being the leader in used game sales, retailer GameStop, which acknowledged it plans to focus on digital content in the future, supports Electronic Arts' new direction.

"GameStop is excited to partner with such a forward-thinking publisher as Electronic Arts," said Dan DeMatteo, Chief Executive Officer of GameStop Corp. "This relationship allows us to capitalize on our investments to market and sell downloadable content online, as well as through our network of stores worldwide."

Source: IGN

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    unfortunately they are the only NFL game in town...

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by eyekey View Post
    Well if you buy it, no worries...I hate EA for buying the NFL rights and putting 2K out, Madden was afraid of 2K since they had the better football game, I own 2K3, with Ulacher on the front, and still say 2K (2K1) for Dreamcast were the best football games ever...also....

My take on the story is this, there "halting" piracy, for starters, a lot of people are not banned on Xbox Live yet, so there essentially playing for free, same with DLC's that come on disc, eg...Borderlands/Fallout 3 etc...this way, they now only play the single player unless they "pay" now for basically some of it. Also, my other take is, that Sony and many game companies for years and years have tried getting laws instated where buying/seller of "used games" to be made illegal, so there trying to put these stores out of business (why pay full price when you can just wait a few months then buy it), even though Gamestop has endorsed this. What I think is really funny though, pick up a game disc you have laying around and it says clearly this game is NOT intended for rental or public appreances, even though here in the US you can rent games form everywhere and anywhere, seriously it really says on the disc itself/manual/box this "game is not for rental"
    [center]

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    That's pretty pathetic even of them.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Well if you buy it, no worries...I hate EA for buying the NFL rights and putting 2K out, Madden was afraid of 2K since they had the better football game, I own 2K3, with Ulacher on the front, and still say 2K (2K1) for Dreamcast were the best football games ever...also....

I more so blame the No Fun League! They love to sell exclusive rights! Look at their deal with Direct TV for the league pass. I understand that the league is a private entity, however, they are a natural American monopoly. With great power comes great responsibility. Oh well, greed is the downfall of all empires.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6

I more so blame the No Fun League! They love to sell exclusive rights! Look at their deal with Direct TV for the league pass. I understand that the league is a private entity, however, they are a natural American monopoly. With great power comes great responsibility. Oh well, greed is the downfall of all empires.
    Well at least 2K did that back to them with Baseball (karma is a bitch, and Madden only has that "exclusive right" for a few more years) I love baseball, even though I skipped the 360 2K baseball this year (I threw 2 no hitters last year bitches, where is my million dollars at???? ) and went with MLB 10' The Show on PS3 instead and "The Show" is awesome !
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-11-2010 at 06:01 AM.
    [center]

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Poster
    EA Games - the evil corporation of the gaming world.

The majority of their titles are overpriced and overhyped with very little creativity or originality, with EA ensured that they'll always have buyers.

Seriously, I hope people boycott their titles for this action, but they won't. So there's no real point us moaning about it, there's always a sucker.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I don't play sports games, I don't own a PS3 or XBOX 360, I don't play online (mostly single player FPS), but I still do not buy EA games (unless there price is so low their giving it away and I still check online to see if it has Securom and if it does no go for me).

What people have to do to hurt them is organize and stand in your local Best Buy for a few hours until your relieved by the next person, and just stop people from buying certain game maker titles. Now that would hurt them more than anything else, because it would end up on the news when the store tries to kick you out and it wouldn't be the protesters getting the bad press. As a matter of fact they would probably interview you and you could bad mouth DRM and EA and anyone else you dislike.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 05-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Yeah Gamestop would support this kind of crap lol. 55 dollars for a used game that's 60 dollars new and that they only paid like 20 bucks for. WEAK.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

"This is an important inflection point in our business because it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhance premium online services to the entire robust EA SPORTS online community," said Peter Moore, President of EA SPORTS.
    That's a gem there.

"GameStop is excited to partner with such a forward-thinking publisher as Electronic Arts," said Dan DeMatteo, Chief Executive Officer of GameStop Corp. "This relationship allows us to capitalize on our investments to market and sell downloadable content online, as well as through our network of stores worldwide."
    So I can stop going to GameStop for game reviews altogether now as I know they are biased as fuck. Thanks for that.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast