Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Kind Of Idiots Exist...

Poster
    I thought that if you get a file on ITunes, it's in a different format so it can't be transferred anywhere else? Or am I wrong about that?
    Re-encode!

AAC: MPEG-4 audio
    AAC (for Advanced Audio Coding, a big part of the MPEG-4 specification) is the cutting-edge audio codec that’s perfect for the Internet. AAC encoding compresses much more efficiently than older formats like MP3 (which iTunes still supports, by the way), while delivering quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio. In fact, some expert listeners have judged AAC audio files compressed at 128 kbps (stereo) to be virtually indistinguishable from the original uncompressed audio source
    Share!

New Music Sharing feature
    iTunes 4 has a Music Sharing feature that uses Rendezvous to give you remote streaming access to your personal music library from any room in your house. Let’s say, for instance, that you have thousands of AAC and MP3 music files stored on a mac or Windows computer in your home office. The iTunes software works so smoothly on both platforms that you can share music with any combination of Macs and Windows PCs on a local area network — regardless of whether you’re running iTunes off a Mac or PC. And you won’t have to manually configure anything, either.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984+1 November 2003 - 14:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparkle1984 @ 1 November 2003 - 14:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha@31 October 2003 - 21:37
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984
    @31 October 2003 - 21:15
    In my post I was referring to the world-famous rich singers such as Madonna, Britney etc. It is them who are greedy. Not the poorer ones.

It always annoys me how people in the third world are expected to work for virtually no pay. So why should we have to feel sorry for the rich people?

You never made any distinction about rich people. You said "Why would anyone want to pay when we can have it for free??"
    Because I just forgot to make the distinction in my first post on this topic&#33;&#33; I can&#39;t remember everything &#33;&#33;

You say I am greedy &#33;&#33; Well since you are in this forum, I assume you are probably a filesharer as well? So why don&#39;t you confess yourself to being greedy then, if you expect other people (ie me) to confess? [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t make an angry face at me just because your post didn&#39;t make sense&#33;

By the way: You&#39;re the one who&#39;s calling people greedy - not me. I just put the question back to you - which you didn&#39;t answer.

You accuse people of being greedy after saying saying things like "Why would anyone want to pay when we can have it for free?", which I took to mean that you never pay for the music you enjoy (and seem to be making fun of those who do). Seems kind of greedy to me - you don&#39;t think so?

Yes, I am a filesharer. I also happen to buy lots and lots and lots of music - have been for many years - and plan to continue doing so. I download to check out new music - not to cheat anyone. If I download something that I really like, I&#39;ll buy it. It must seem kind of stupid to you I guess, but greedy?

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    I&#39;m not greedy, just broke. If I could afford to pay for the stuff I download, I would.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Poster
    Originally posted by DasScoot@2 November 2003 - 04:59
    If I could afford to pay for the stuff I download, I would.
    I wonder if you would if actually put to the test?

Let&#39;s say a certain program you like very much sells for &#036;400

Ok, the copyright holder agrees to carry payments over 20 years. A rediculous scenario but what could make it easier for either of you?

That&#39;s &#036;1.67 per month.

&#036;20 per year

Surely even the most pathetic computer user can afford that.

My guess is that even at this pittance level, most would not pay or would just ignore the invoice after the first few months.

In all honesty, open sharing really is bad for all of us as individuals. Especially when it comes to more high end programs.

When it took at least some skill to get these programs, there was little harm to the software makers and artists. A few thousand copies leak out to the more elite users who likely wouldn&#39;t have paid the price anyway. They in turn recommend the software to those who can and will pay.

Now, every kid in the world can type in a search and ripp you off in a matter of hours and all they recommend is that their peers do the same.
    Be sensible about this. It will come to an end soon at this rate.

Oh, I still share stuff. Just don&#39;t expect to get the latest build or the full commercial software from me anymore. I know what effect this has had on new software releases and it just isn&#39;t sensible to continue the rape of these developers, people like me and you. Families to feed, a life to live, payments to make.

Yeah, it was a lot more fun when it took some skill or inside info to get all these cool programs. Now it&#39;s just plain theft.
    Hell, most of you don&#39;t even care if they can identify you. It&#39;s a real "fuck you" world isn&#39;t it&#33;
    I&#39;ve been there too but, now I&#39;ll do whatever I can to give a bit back.
    I beta test where possible, I give testimonials, provide links and info, any small thing to minimise the impact all this.
    It&#39;s time for wiser, more selective sharing I think.

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    I barely download software anymore, actually the last one I&#39;ve downloaded in the past few months was just to replace one I lost when I reformmatted.

Actually, come to think of it, most of what I download now are TV shows I wouldn&#39;t be paying for anyways - just this way I don&#39;t have to worry about them only showing the episode once every few months/years.

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Now, every kid in the world can type in a search and ripp you off in a matter of hours and all they recommend is that their peers do the same.
    Be sensible about this. It will come to an end soon at this rate.
    Yes, virtually everybody in my faculty at university does it - how many computing science students can afford software which costs hundreds of dollars?

Also, our university has a special contract/licence thing, which means that the computing students can have copies of visual Studio and Win XP pro to take home for free, but only for the remainder of our course.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha+2 November 2003 - 05:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sid Hartha @ 2 November 2003 - 05:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984@1 November 2003 - 14:48
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha@31 October 2003 - 21:37
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984
    @31 October 2003 - 21:15
    In my post I was referring to the world-famous rich singers such as Madonna, Britney etc. It is them who are greedy. Not the poorer ones.

It always annoys me how people in the third world are expected to work for virtually no pay. So why should we have to feel sorry for the rich people?

You never made any distinction about rich people. You said "Why would anyone want to pay when we can have it for free??"

Because I just forgot to make the distinction in my first post on this topic&#33;&#33; I can&#39;t remember everything &#33;&#33;

You say I am greedy &#33;&#33; Well since you are in this forum, I assume you are probably a filesharer as well? So why don&#39;t you confess yourself to being greedy then, if you expect other people (ie me) to confess?
    Don&#39;t make an angry face at me just because your post didn&#39;t make sense&#33;

By the way: You&#39;re the one who&#39;s calling people greedy - not me. I just put the question back to you - which you didn&#39;t answer.

You accuse people of being greedy after saying saying things like "Why would anyone want to pay when we can have it for free?", which I took to mean that you never pay for the music you enjoy (and seem to be making fun of those who do). Seems kind of greedy to me - you don&#39;t think so?

Yes, I am a filesharer. I also happen to buy lots and lots and lots of music - have been for many years - and plan to continue doing so. I download to check out new music - not to cheat anyone. If I download something that I really like, I&#39;ll buy it. It must seem kind of stupid to you I guess, but greedy? [/b][/quote]
    Well said Sid Hartha :beerchug:

You buy what you want and dont let these whining morons convince you of anything else. The attitude of most seems to be "rip off everyone and everything" and allways an excuse about "i cant afford it, cause i&#39;m a poor student...blah blah blah..&#33;"

People who dont have respect for anyone elses opinions, dont deserve any respect in return.

Peace
    UKMan

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Hello.
    This sort of talk about music and other types of "goods" you can get from internet, and whether that&#39;s ethically or morally or however acceptable, WILL NOT ever stop being vain in theory and in some practice, until other one of these conditions apply:

1. Internet will be "made free and wholly accessible" w/o any filtering, monitoring, analyzing etc., maybe with the exception of viruses/trojans and other unsolicited traffic. This however is in contradiction with virtually every nation&#39;s or similar organization&#39;s laws, since it should include free "ownership" for everything someone has on his/her computer. An example, the infamous (in klite board at least RIAA, operates on assumption that afore mentioned "free access" is and will always be as much criminal as it could be, &#39;cause otherwise the RIAA&#39;s reason to exist would be void. Same thing with all the record labels, distribution (&#33 companies etc. Take some distribution company for example, they would not exist had the internet get developed&running before the company: they would not have the "social need" or whatever term it is described to have a market that has "come to be" because of people needing it, not because a person inventing it. I mean, the internet is quite an efficient distributor as it is already w/o there being a need for it in the first place.

2. Internet will be more accurately described as a big-ass intranetwork, where everything goes through/by some sort of filtering mechanism, like TV censoring today: if there&#39;s something "bad" (ethically/morally wrong) coming to "market", IT (ANY TYPE OF INFORMATION) WOULD BE ALWAYS CENSORED, STOPPED, BLOCKED, REMOVED, ERASED, DELETED, not to mention analyzed in a way that would without a question REMOVE the individual rights to ANY SORT OF PRIVACY WHATSOEVER&#33;&#33;&#33;

I cannot imagine anyone "sane" wanting the second option, there are too many warnings out there projected by film makers&#39; and writers&#39; imagination etc. that the mere thought of anything resembling even in smallest possible way (like paying for going to movies; this is starting to tell You something about my sense of reality and relationships) makes me mad; so of course I am mad, even the doctor says so
    But nevertheless, I&#39;d rather see a world w/o borders and limitations and laws and copyrights, and I have to say at this point that I&#39;ve written and performed music and graphical&litural side of art too, and I&#39;ve taken a s**tload of student loan while studying to be a software engineer, so anyone wanna say something stupid like "you wouldn&#39;t pay for it anyway" or any kind of ridiculement about poverty, even when I&#39;m living in a so-called "high living standard" country, I would like to see him/her personally living for 2 months WITHOUT FOOD OR ELECTRICITY &#39;cause he/she had to by a 400 € software to complete a course for the studies.No, I don&#39;t think anyone here stands by their words when they are saying that money is not the reason for a really, really large amount of people.
    Bear w/me another moment please, if You&#39;ve come this far ..though I&#39;m getting tired myself, too..
    If/when I do music, software, paintings or social-political development models for high-level services for retarded people&#39;s access-enhancing of arts for local community, I would take anyday a long-reaching understanding-and-need-to-make-money&good-FOR-OTHERS-NOT-ME-mentality than a decent salary..
    But since this will always be only a dream in some people&#39;s dreams, I say that I want good for others, and take the good for myself. That&#39;s what everyone does, and You die if You don&#39;t.
    If You still think I&#39;m a joke and "all artists want their listeners/whatever to pay for everything", read something about Darwin&#39;s theories, there seems to be some sense in something, and take a look at some statistics about poor people&#39;s "buying force" and then do something You haven&#39;t obviously done before: think, "empathize", in a way that raises a sense of sympathy..
    Or You can do whatever you were gonna do anyway, I don&#39;t have the faith to believe that it would help anyway.. so no stress, people, YOU CAN BE AS STUPID AND MEAN AND GREEDY AS YOU WANT, IT CHANGES NOTHING&#33;

Happily Yours ..not.. -teleping
    Life is a bug, then You crash&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Hi again&#33;
    DON&#39;T READ THIS&#33; THIS IS NOT RELEVANT&#33;
    Unless you are in some way interested of the previous post of mine...
    Seems I posted the same thing twice so I edited it, and I&#39;d like to apologise if anyone got bored, pissed or anything similar: same goes to moderators or whoever if this was out of line or something, I also confess being a nosy a**hole who thinks he knows nearly everything there&#39;s to know about something I think I know..and sorry for that gibberish english, I can&#39;t write without thinking Our True Lord Saviour His Merciful Divinity The Creator Of The Five-Part Trilogy Of The Holy And Unquestionable, Also Ineffable Truth Douglas Adams, and trying not to try to be like him (as a writer, I think/hope...) takes a lot of energy, so it makes me happy and unhappy and quite irrealistic pretty much whole the time..
    Life is a bug, then You crash&#33;

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234