Thread: Dvd

I bought a new DVD burner but the copies I make from my downloaded movies won't play on my tv/dvd player. Any ideas?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    first of all,does ur dvd player support dvd-r/w?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Are you simply burning the avi file onto a data dvd? There are only a very few dvd players which will support this, the alternative is that you have to convert the file to true dvd format.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by lynx@29 October 2003 - 15:00
    Are you simply burning the avi file onto a data dvd? There are only a very few dvd players which will support this, the alternative is that you have to convert the file to true dvd format.
    if you make a combo iso/udf dvd-r in compatibility mode (i believe that's udf 1.02), some standard dvd players will mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 files from a data disc. but it really depends on your player.

if you want to play AVI files, you will either have to buy a player that supports mpeg-4, or convert the files to mpeg-1, mpeg-2 or dvd-video.

the only way to ensure that downloaded movies will play on nearly every dvd player from dvd-r discs is to convert them to dvd-video.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Also check which type of DVDR your set top supports, many will not play any at all, and some wont play dvd+ disks.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    My burner is dvd+r or+r/w. How do I convert a file to dvd-video? I have Nero Express, the OEM version and Pinnacle. Both came with the drive. I have only been able to make Data disk.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    There are some guides on how to convert to dvd-video at dvdrhelp and doom9. They will show you how to do it no matter what type of source you've got, though some of them can take a while (depending on your pc).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.