Poster
    format and clean install

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    cborga1985
    Originally posted by Kunal@30 October 2003 - 14:52
    format and clean install
    yeah format and clean install like he said

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Like I said that is my last option! I was hoping to fix it without going through formatting my HDD.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    have you done anything differently lately? ie updated any drivers from windows update? changed or added any new hardware? changed anything in your bios? are you using an external mouse? what are the specs of your laptop? more info please

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by boyzeee@30 October 2003 - 17:42
    have you done anything differently lately? ie updated any drivers from windows update? changed or added any new hardware? changed anything in your bios? are you using an external mouse? what are the specs of your laptop? more info please

Well, I do install tons of software weekly and a do a lot of work on it. Havent updated any drivers nor added any new hardware. I have an external HDD(160 gb) (internal 20gb),256 Mb Ram, external wireless mouse, USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, wireless networking card, usb Kodak webcam, thats about it. These things are there in the laptop for over a year now. Never had any conflict with any device or with windows so to speak.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    the only reason i asked if you had changed anything is that it sounds like a hardware fault or conflict, first thing i would check is the battery on mobo and date settings in bios, i would also unplug anything non vital ie ya camera and if you got a spare mouse swap them over. i know you say these things have been installed for a while but worth a try removing them to see if one of them is the culprit, also i would update your graphics driver and you say you install alot of software, have you installed any cdwriting software? clone cd or deamon tools as an example? most cd writing s/ware install their own vxd (virtual drivers) and if you have used sys restore it may have stuffed the registry settings for them. if so try and reinstall said programs. you could also boot from the windows cd and let windows try and repair the windows directory, you will have to update afterwards, worth a try, formatting is often suggested to quickly and i would do it only as a last resort, try and think what you did or was doing prior to the problem to try and trace the cause. goto accessories and then sys info and look at the history of ya pc as it may give a clue to root cause of the problem

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    @boyzee, thanks for relpying and suggesting things which unlike others who rushed too fast to formatting.
    I havent install any cd-writing softwares. But my time on the clock often changes about every week or so(although its synchronized with internet). I dont think that has anything to do with this or is it?

If one of the hardware is conflicting, what is the solution. My guess is my webcam might be a culprit as it is the only thing i installed less than a month ago, and i do get occasional instal new hardware screen although i have installed its drivers.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    go into msconfig and see whats in your start up. Their is probably something in their thats hanging it.

(just if you dont know, start, then run, then type msconfig then click on the start up tab)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    if ya clock keeps going out of sync i would change ya mobo battery and i would check ya bios settings as a duff battery will have prob set them to default although it does sound like it could be ya camera, goto manufacturers website and download latest driver, i had a similar problem with my logitech cam, new driver sorted it. it wouldnt hurt to update all ya drivers, graphics, mouse, modem etc from manufacturers sites, there are bound to be a newer drivers for all of them if you not updated them or just used the supplied discs, these bits of kit sit on the shelves for months sometimes and the drivers supplied are usually well out of date. also updating your usb drivers might help. sorry couldnt be of more help

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by neattairoski@30 October 2003 - 19:21
    go into msconfig and see whats in your start up. Their is probably something in their thats hanging it.

(just if you dont know, start, then run, then type msconfig then click on the start up tab)
    Nah, I full customize all my services and startup.

Edit: Moreover, the computer hangs at the bootup screen not after reaching windows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast