Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I Invest In A Seedbox?

bigdaddydude's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hi everyone,
    I've been browsing this section for awhile and I'm fairly new to these. Would it be worth the time and effort to invest in a seedbox if I plan to get into some private trackers? I did a speed test and I'm assuming that this would be considered a slow connection (which is from my wireless network at home).

I would like to know who do you think provides the best service, speeds and why I should go with the company you think would be best for me. I will soon be going to college for culinary school, so I will be out of money soon. I might be able to pay up to $30 a month at the most. Thanks for your time and efforts.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I'm good for you.
    No. Get into private trackers first and see how things go. If you can't survive, then you'll need a seedbox. If you can survive, you're saving yourself a good amount of money.

You may also want to research more, rather than just post; OVH is basically used by the majority of seedbox providers due to the internal-networking advantage they offer, but speeds will suck to USA, not to mention they don't sell direct to USA.
    Last edited by TONiC; 05-30-2010 at 11:57 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Seedboxes aren't required for many trackers. Try IPtorrents and Torrentday. They are easy to get into.

One of the best seedbox is Feralhosting. They are a popular ovh resller. A slot on a 1Gbps box is around $25. You can make a good buffer and then cancel at the end of the month.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    AdrianPhoto's Avatar Nice Member BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I've been using a seedbox for 7 months now
    I've noticed that I can easily seed from home, and I don't need the seedbox for seeding what I download
    on the other hand, when I upload new things to the tracker.. (usually HD/DVDR stuff) I REALLY need a seedbox.

I LOVE Canada

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Bestfriend81's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    seedbox helps on donwloading speed? r just for seeding?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestfriend81 View Post
    seedbox helps on donwloading speed? r just for seeding?
    If your ISP throttle bittorrent, then using a seedbox as a middle man and using FTP to retrieve files could see an increase in speeds....

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    A free solution would be to use uTorrent in uTP-only mode, optionally with forced encryption. uTP isn't flawless but it should bypass most shapers.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    A free solution would be to use uTorrent in uTP-only mode, optionally with forced encryption. uTP isn't flawless but it should bypass most shapers.
    Isn't uTP just the option for uTorrent to throttle itself? If ISPs didn't oversell their bandwidth there wouldn't be an issue, and for those of us with truly unlimited connections uTP can only make the situation worse for us.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TONiC View Post
    Isn't uTP just the option for uTorrent to throttle itself?
    Yes, the main idea behind uTP is having a QoS-sensitive protocol that'll automatically "limit" uTorrent's speeds when you have other tasks going on. However, a very nice side-effect of it being UDP-based is that it defeats most ISP shapers. The disadvantage is that it uses more overhead than normal TCP connections.

And yeah, it's otherwise useless if you aren't shaped and know how to limit your speed.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddydude View Post
    I will soon be going to college for culinary school, so I will be out of money soon. I might be able to pay up to $30 a month at the most. Thanks for your time and efforts.
    If you are going off to college don't you think your money would be more wisely invested in drugs?
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast