AvailableName's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by backie View Post
    They both suck balls.
    Then what do you prefer?

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    backie's Avatar Demigod BT Rep: +1
    I'm going bespoke.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    From a users perspective, no idea, as i have never actually used gazelle, even though we have it installed we havnt done anything with it yet.

From a programers perspective they are both a nightmare to work on, but TBdev is designed from the get go to be an everything tracker, and just delete/edit cats in the db to what you want, gazelle is designed to be a Music tracker, and its not very easy to change it to what you want (you have to edit files not just the database, its not impossible but its a lot harder.

Tbdev is pretty resource heavy unless you go with an XBTT backend.

Gazelle is fast because it comes with an XBTT backend, and you have to have memcache on your server to use it (TBdev you dont).

So it all depends on a few factors for me.

How good of a programmer you are?
    What you actually want your tracker do do, Music go with gazelle, everything else TBdev unless you can put the hours in changing Gazelle.
    How many peers you want, 20,000 or less go with TBdev, 20,000-100,000 go with either TBdev or gazelle but both with XBTT. 100,000 or more, Gazelle (even though TBdev will go past 100,000 i would have thought gazelle can hanlde more.)
    Last edited by stoi; 05-31-2010 at 06:30 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by elbuitre View Post
    For a specialized site Gazelle is godsent, but for a general site i can see it being a nightmare. How do you group apps? Do you have group for a program then have a version as an "album" then different releases under there. Or each version of the program has a page? How about coding the implementation for each category of torrents, are they compatible? I guess you could disable that sort of grouping but I mean, if you're not going to take advantage of gazelle organizational features, why use it at all.
    Grouping is a feature, not forced. Look at Torrent-Damage and TorrentVault for good Gazelle 0day examples...

Imo: Gazelle > TBDev, for it's features and the fact that it's not ancient. The coders and staff are way more important than the source code though, imo.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Poster
    tbdev.
    Arguments: I don't know . As a user, I think it is easier to use.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    From a user perspective, I like gazelle _sites_ better. Before gazelle, you couldn't open a torrent, click on link of it's director or star actors, and then have all the movies they've been affiliated with. You couldn't couldn't search using tags grind + metal + 2003 (for music), or say action + comedy + 2009 to see all action comedies of 2009 (for movies) just to filter down to exactly what you want. Very useful on big trackers...

That said, I guess those functionalities were never impossible for TBDev, but they were never standard until Gazelle came along.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    TBDEV and Gazelle are both nightmares when it comes to the plain old source code, but I'd have to go with TBDEV for this one.

Why TBDEV?

Well, it's old, but the members of TBDEV.NET are dedicated to making mods and helping each other out. Sure, there are some things Gazelle can do, but do you see IMDb mods on their community forum? I doubt it.

If you don't have the time to mess around with TBDEV or Gazelle, you shouldn't even be running a tracker at all. Patching all the bugs in older TBDEV sources is easy. Finding the time do to it all is hard.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Long John Silver
    xbtit

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by buggyfresh View Post
    xbtit

Support looks great, oh it is if you pay for the privilage. feck that.

http://www.xbtit.com/registration/
    Last edited by stoi; 06-01-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast