Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who deserves to get punished?

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You know who your friends are when the blame is wrongly attributed to you, when they get into a wee bit of trouble. The recent BP oil spill has the U.S.A.(Obama administration) up in arms and blaming Britaine wrongly.

Quote;

'Our job is to keep the boot on the neck of British Petroleum'
    Ken Salazar.

'We talk to these people, so I know whose ass to kick'
    Obama.

'There is going to be economic damage that we've got to make sure BP compensates people for'
    White House(not their grammar expert, I hope)

One or two things need pointing out;

It is no longer called British Petroleum. It changed in 2000 and it probably now stands for Bharat Petroleum a company in India who own it. Nobody is sure what it was changed to.

I can't remember an American President using this rhetoric when the following happended;

The Bhopal tragedy

Exxon Valdez

Torrey Canyon

Piper Alpha

All owned by American companies.

Why was Wall Street and all the other economic gamblers around the world made to pay for the loss of trillions of various currencies and the economic collapse of most of the western world?

opinions please.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Hmm.

Don't care for the rhetoric, eh?

Join the club, Bob.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    The sad thing is, on the days leading to the disaster the big bad bosses were all aboard the platform,They were pushing for the drilling to be moved faster to get to the oil as it had been weeks overdue, The managers onboard were telling them this would be dangerous but were over ruled.
    It annoys me that this kinda shit happens the world over, the fat cats hindering and not listening to the pro's just because there pockets aren't getting lined.
    I'm amazed the u.s president isn't getting his facts right about who's to be blamed, but hey this isn't new to america,just look at the monkey(bush) they had before him.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    You know who your friends are when the blame is wrongly attributed to you, when they get into a wee bit of trouble. The recent BP oil spill has the U.S.A.(Obama administration) up in arms and blaming Britaine wrongly.

Quote;

Ken Salazar.

Twit. Was a controversial statement when it was made, and even Obama said it was a poor choice of words.

Obama.

It was a pretty broad statement. IMO he was talking about all parties involved, not just BP.

'There is going to be economic damage that we've got to make sure BP compensates people for'
    White House(not their grammar expert, I hope)

BP is the one who initially stated they would be paying for all damages, both economic and environmental alike.

yo

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    BP is the one who initially stated they would be paying for all damages, both economic and environmental alike.
    Does this mean that the rhetoric was just hot air to score political points? When BP made that statement there was no need for further comments. Why attack a British Registered company? You should attack the owners, if you need to attack anybody.

I will just put it down to friendly fire.

It was only a matter of time Kev. Give them enough rope etc. His father probably put him up to it.
    Last edited by bigboab; 06-11-2010 at 08:57 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    惡魔的提倡者

Quote;

Ken Salazar.

Obama. To be fair he was replying to a question that asked if he was going to "kick any butt"

White House(not their grammar expert, I hope) (by the way is "Britaine" an alternative spelling?)

One or two things need pointing out;

It is no longer called British Petroleum. It changed in 2000 and it probably now stands for Bharat Petroleum a company in India who own it. Nobody is sure what it was changed to.

I can't remember an American President using this rhetoric when the following happended;

The Bhopal tragedy

Exxon Valdez

Torrey Canyon

Piper Alpha

All owned by American companies.

Why was Wall Street and all the other economic gamblers around the world made to pay for the loss of trillions of various currencies and the economic collapse of most of the western world?

opinions please.
    I don't recall anyone blaming the British nation, wouldn't put it past certain people mind you.

As with all public companies shareholders would be worldwide. It doesn't make any difference for me personally. I am of the opinion that whoever does the damage should be held accountable. In this case BP no matter what the initials stand for. I would feel the same if it was an American company.

There should be no cap on damages, pay whatever it costs.

I can't argue your point about it only counting if it's someone else. That is the standard these days. That is the standard these days. Seems principles are a rare thing.
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 06-11-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Making a double standard

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Does this mean that the rhetoric was just hot air to score political points? When BP made that statement there was no need for further comments. Why attack a British Registered company? You should attack the owners, if you need to attack anybody.
    I didn't consider it that.

I'd wager that far fewer Americans watched Tony Hayward‎'s brief press conference in the early afternoon on a weekday than did Obamas press conference later that afternoon. One that was replayed on the news several times later that night. I watched Obama's press conference live and received it as a reassurance from the President to the American people, especially those of us on the Gulf, that BP would be held to their promise; nothing more.

As devilsadvocate also mentioned, I haven't perceived this as an attack on Britain either, nor have I in the 50+/- days of the oil spill heard a single person directly or indirectly blame this on anyone but BP.

yo

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I don't recall anyone blaming the British nation, wouldn't put it past certain people mind you.

As with all public companies shareholders would be worldwide. It doesn't make any difference for me personally. I am of the opinion that whoever does the damage should be held accountable. In this case BP no matter what the initials stand for. I would feel the same if it was an American company.

There should be no cap on damages, pay whatever it costs.

I can't argue your point about it only counting if it's someone else. That is the standard these days. Seems principles are a rare thing.[/QUOTE]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cks-Obama.html

They are treating the rhetoric seriously over here. This is considered a very right wing paper and friend of the U.S.A. Cameron is calling it a british company too. Dont they ever check up who actually owns these companies before they open their mouths?

As long as they clean the whole thing up everything should eventually return to normal. Sad about the loss of wildlife though.

No reply regarding punishing the economic gamblers who are back to their old ways again. At least they are over here, huge bonuses etc.

They should make Texas pay for the clean up. After all they have prospered on oil for the last 100 years.

P.S. Nearly 12p.m. past my bedtime. Can't stay up they way I used to.
    Last edited by bigboab; 06-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    As devilsadvocate also mentioned, I haven't perceived this as an attack on Britain either, nor have I in the 50+/- days of the oil spill heard a single person directly or indirectly blame this on anyone but BP.
    I've heard a few talking heads blame Obama. Apparently it's his fault because he didn't regulate the industry. Oddly the talking heads in question are the same ones that were previously complaining about Obama over regulating as part of his plan to destroy America.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    惡魔的提倡者

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cks-Obama.html

They are treating the rhetoric seriously over here. This is considered a very right wing paper and friend of the U.S.A. Cameron is calling it a british company too. Dont they ever check up who actually owns these companies before they open their mouths?

As long as they clean the whole thing up everything should eventually return to normal. Sad about the loss of wildlife though.

The problem is that it seems they are spending more time on PR than actual action. We have more reports of the press complaining about BP denying access than we have footage of the damage. Couple this with the failure to stop the leak and going the dispersal instead of removal route with the spilled oil and frustration is rising.

Add the news that this could have been avoided if certain measures had been taken beforehand and the frustration rises

No reply regarding punishing the economic gamblers who are back to their old ways again. At least they are over here, huge bonuses etc.

They should make Texas pay for the clean up. After all they have prospered on oil for the last 100 years.
    I didn't get my share

P.S. Nearly 12p.m. past my bedtime. Can't stay up they way I used to.
    [youtube]2AAa0gd7ClM[/youtube]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast