Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Peer-2-peer

paul_smith
    simple
    kazaa software is legal
    kazaa lite software is illegal (as its unauthorised edited version of kazaa)

what people use both of them for is ILLEGAL

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Originally posted by paul_smith@1 November 2003 - 20:09
    simple
    kazaa software is legal

if you only download non-copyrighted material, using kazaa can be legal
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    paul_smith
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+1 November 2003 - 20:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 1 November 2003 - 20:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paul_smith@1 November 2003 - 20:09
    simple
    kazaa software is legal

if you only download non-copyrighted material, using kazaa can be legal [/b][/quote]
    yeh but im guessing 99.9% of people download illegal stuff.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Originally posted by paul_smith@1 November 2003 - 20:13
    yeh but im guessing 99.9% of people download illegal stuff.
    i see your point, and i agree with you

however, there is little (if any) space in the law for guessing
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by waterStrider@1 November 2003 - 20:04
    Be sure to add this range to your IP Blocker.

DEMON ADSL CUSTOMER FEDERATION AGAINST COPYRIGHT THEFT LIMITED:62.49.226.24-62.49.226.27
    how do u do this? i have the latest klite ++..
    it has "ip blocker updater" program, but i can&#39;t add ips.
    Go into your Kazaa Lite Folder and look for the Bad Ip Ranges.txt open in notepad add the new range and save.

I have also requested to Paul that he add it to the Bad IP list.

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    Simple way to look at this...

Downloading Non-Copyrighted/Legally-broadcastable material via Kazaa (original), or most other legal (i.e. Non-hacked/Non-modified etc) P2P program&#39;s is &#33;LEGAL&#33;. The original Kazaa, along with BitTorrent, eDonkey and many other P2P program&#39;s &#33;ARE&#33; legal in themselves. It&#39;s how people decide to use them that&#39;s illegal usually.

Downloading Copyrighted/Illegally-broadcast material via &#33;ANY&#33; P2P program is &#33;ILLEGAL&#33;. It doesn&#39;t matter if the P2P program itself is legal in this case, it&#39;s the actual use it&#39;s being put to that&#39;s illegal.

The original Kazaa program is &#33;LEGAL&#33;, as it&#39;s (supposed) purpose is for sharing &#33;LEGAL&#33; files via P2P connection&#39;s. The program itself does &#33;NOT&#33; become &#33;ILLEGAL&#33; when the files being shared/transmitted over the connection are &#33;ILLEGAL&#33; files, just the act of sending/recieving those files is the &#33;ILLEGAL&#33; act in that case.

Kazaa Lite &#33;IS ILLEGAL&#33; due to it breaking the EULA of Sharman network&#39;s by modifying the original file without their authorization.

Ok, that&#39;s not as simple as I intended, but I hope it help&#39;s clear thing&#39;s up and is actually accurate lol ;-)

Sniper.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    In answer to the original question...

Yes, there is new UK copyright Law that makes downloading copyrighted material illegal (before this, it was only uploading that was illegal).

However, you must read this in conjunction with IT/Communications law.

In the UK, monitoring someones communications, including the internet, is illegal for everyone except the Security Services...without a Court Order.

In other words.... the act is illegal, however gathering the evidence to prosecute is also illegal.

To everyone else...

Talking about the legality of Kazaa and K-lite is a little daft...as every countries/States laws are different.

In General....Kazaa is legal

K-Lite may be illegal.......depending upon how the country in question defines hacking.

K++ does not alter the source code, so in many places it is perfectly legal.

However, the way that the program is loaded has been changed, and the spyware removed.... in many places it will therefore be illegal.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Following on from the start of this topic read this - relating to the new law

http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5100441.html

Crkr

also

h ttp://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032498.htm

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+31 October 2003 - 19:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 31 October 2003 - 19:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-waveynet@31 October 2003 - 19:56
    Of course owning copyrighted material is illegal (you prat)

no it&#39;s not

if you bought it, it&#39;s yours

kazaa lite is illegal (and always has been, to the best of my knowledge) [/b][/quote]
    when someones being nasty to you u just laugh it off well done

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@1 November 2003 - 21:18
    In answer to the original question...

Yes, there is new UK copyright Law that makes downloading copyrighted material illegal (before this, it was only uploading that was illegal).

However, you must read this in conjunction with IT/Communications law.

In the UK, monitoring someones communications, including the internet, is illegal for everyone except the Security Services...without a Court Order.

In other words.... the act is illegal, however gathering the evidence to prosecute is also illegal.

To everyone else...

Talking about the legality of Kazaa and K-lite is a little daft...as every countries/States laws are different.

In General....Kazaa is legal

K-Lite may be illegal.......depending upon how the country in question defines hacking.

K++ does not alter the source code, so in many places it is perfectly legal.

However, the way that the program is loaded has been changed, and the spyware removed.... in many places it will therefore be illegal.
    amen&#33; i understand fully&#33;

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234