Thread: Movie Viewing In A Low Resources System

hi, first post here

and i need some help

i´me running a amd k7 300mhz, 128 mb ram, 3ghz hd, 16mb video

i´ve given up downloading entire moveis cause when i try to view them the frame rate is just to slow

but i´ve downloaded some clips 200, 300 mb 320x240 resolution and the frame rate is normal, i can view them perfectly in full screen.

My question is: what is the best format for viewing movies in a low resources system, Divx, mpegs, avi ; why sometimes clips 320x240 resolution have slow frame rates ; does that mean that full movies can also have suitable frame rates for my system; what is the best freeware for resamplig or compressing or converting full movies into a suitable frame rate for viewing in my system.

i would realy apreciate some help here

thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    I would say mpeg as they don't use codecs.

But you really gotta upgrade your machine.
    You could spend less than 200 bucks/€ changing the HD, motherboard, processor, graphic card, ram, and then be able to whatch any movies.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Povoa@31 October 2003 - 21:23
    what is the best freeware for resamplig or compressing or converting full movies into a suitable frame rate for viewing in my system.
    I would hate to think how long it would take you to convert a movie, probably days.
    What players have you been using?
    Avi preview would probably be one of the best choices as it uses little resources.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I had a 300MHZ, and had the same problem, basically you are at a dead los, there is nothing you can do at all, unless get a new CPU, or a new PC.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i`ve been using avipreview for viewing in full screen and i think it`s the best

but i still have full movies that i just can`t view them cause they are to slow

how can i resample them into mpeg format

i`ve got virtualdub but i´ve ben playing blind, do you know a site with a manual or some information on how to operate with that software

thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    My question is: what is the best format for viewing movies in a low resources system, Divx, mpegs, avi ; why sometimes clips 320x240 resolution have slow frame rates ; does that mean that full movies can also have suitable frame rates for my system; what is the best freeware for resamplig or compressing or converting full movies into a suitable frame rate for viewing in my system.
    Most 320x240 are done at nearly 15 frame (just under) the rest are double this,now this is weird because my brothers daughters watched nemo etc on the same spec of machine with no trouble (upgraded now), in fact it only had 64 meg plus 8 meg on board video and this was from the Cd-rom hmm.

Try another player first like VideoLan or BS Player which is what they used.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Mate like they all said ..its pointless..the only possible way is an upgrade.Your cpu is just well under mate.Especially with codecs getting better.,,you need something like a pentium 3 just to play an xvid movie.And encoding them to vcd is even worse..like callum said it would take about 1-2 days 24/7 a movie.with the encoder using all the cpu & memory..so you wouldnt even be able to use your computer while its converting.Doing all that everytime you want to watch a decent movie on your pc isnt worth a one of payment of like 200P.You'll also be able to run other programms Photo image ,design and games..which i doubt you can now.And with a small hdd..if its almost full plus with large files like movies,defraging before you open a movie may help,which could be a lot.