Thread: Dvd Burning Questions

Poster
    My VCR has been broken for several months now, in the meantime, I have been using my PC as a "VCR". My kids have been taking advantage of that. I have been "taping" many episodes of cartoons for them.

Here's my question.

Can I use VCD files, in NERO, and burn them onto a DVD using the VCD format. Would this create a HUGE VCD with lots of movies on it? Will the DVD player, in my living room see this as a large VCD, or will it not recognise anything at all?

Can you burn a DVD movie disk, as you normally would, but with the low quality files, just to be able to put more movies on it? If not, then how many movies (or hours) can be burned on a DVD?

I have a huge crap load of cartoons on a lot of disks. This is just too much for me to be bothered with, for the kids to pester me to put another disk in, every time a short VCD is done playing.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if u was to spend some time, i would edit all the cartoons (commercials, end credits..ect..) and encode them to VCD formatt instead of letting nero do it, cuz a 80min cd-r hold 80min

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    SOME players will recognize a DVD-R/W formatted as a VCD if you resample the audio from 44khz to 48khz. that's the sample rate, not the bitrate.

SOME players will simply play the mpeg files off of an ISO-format data cd.

and SOME players will simply not recognize it at all, because the VCD format specifies both the encoding method and the disc type (i.e. it's compatible with CD, not DVD).

if your player is able to use one of the first two options, it's because you lucked out and got a player that isn't strict about following the official outlines of the formats. if not... then i guess you're stuck with either using CD-Rs or trying to convert the MPEG files into DVD-Video VOB files. some of your MPEG files may be easily convertible to VOBs without re-encoding the video, but you will prolly have to at least re-encode the audio on a lot of them.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by TheFilePirater@1 November 2003 - 01:02
    if u was to spend some time, i would edit all the cartoons (commercials, end credits..ect..) and encode them to VCD formatt instead of letting nero do it, cuz a 80min cd-r hold 80min
    Thanks for your reply. Thanks everyone.

The files are already MPEG-2 NTSC format. I use TMPGenc or Ulead to do the editing and correct video format. Also, my capture card captures in DVD or VCD. So the file is ready to go for burning.

I just use NERO for the burning only. I could use Roxio Easy CD Creator to burn VCD or DVD.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    roxio SUCKS for VCD's man, i only use it for menu's and even if its mpeg standards roxio will encode it