Thread: New Graphics Card

hi specs--1.1ghz duron
    640mb sdram
    geoforce 4 128mb ddr
    win xp pro

sorry i know there are software related things here but im sure it has to be a hardware problem/setting im not asking for advice on the in game settings i understand them

i was runnin a tnt2m64pro graphics card but this was crap and broke so i bought a geoforce 4 mx440 with 128mb ddr ram and 8x agp yesterday --this 1

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_1350664/111601.html

know my motherboard only accepts upto 4x agp but the shop said it will knock the card down to 4x which didn't bother me much given the size of the card anyway but i really cant see much difference in the games (halo mohaa rtcw gta etc) they are still stuttery and laggy and my specs more than cover the recomended ones (i think---look up top left)
    i have all the newest drivers/directx etc and i did a full format\install b4 i put my card in

I am extremely new to hardware installing but i had a look in the bios and i read "fast write support" enable/disable
    Should i enable this ---i looked on google but it never said wether to use it or not

also what is agp running in pci compatibility mode because there is an option for it in the advanced diplay settings and i dont think it'll be running like that

if anyone can help or maybe point out something i could've missed it would help because this is getting expensive just to play games

cheers guyz

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    youve got a fair ammount of ram but the cpu aint up to much i dont think, have u tried defragmenting ur hdd, cleaned it etc, removed unescesary programs, and turned of all the crap in xp, like the themes etc.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yes i did a format/reinstall im wondering if there maybe a bios setting or other hardware setting ive missed

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    edit. wrong topic

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    *Grunt*
    The duron isnt that great of a performer, you shoud have considerd an athlon, xp or otherwise and, DDR ram. To have no lag what so ever on highest quality settings (on a modern game) i would say that you would have at least double the specs or more to play flawlessly.