Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xvid Is Buggy

I have downloaded many xvid movies, but they are very difficult to convert to vcd, i have tried on many movies using tmpgenc, but every time it had errors.

Why dont people use WMV (version 2), or Divx they are more stable from my experience.

Any input will be appreciated.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Forum Star
    XviD gives the best quality/size ratio.

Do a bit of searching and you can solve that conversion problem.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    DivX ;-) (note the smilie) started out as a hacked Micro$oft Mpeg-4 codec (WMV). It was hacked to allow maximum compression while still keeping high quality bitrates of video and audio.
    DivX ;-) became very popular and so there was a need to come up with a legal codec instead of a hacked Micro$oft codec. So, an open source team was created: Project Mayo.

After a while, the original developers wanted to push it further and started a company called DivX Networks which started developing its own closed source version, based on the work of Project Mayo.

Some of the developers involved with the Project Mayo, still believed in the open source codec, so they developed the codec further and created XviD.

XviD (notice it is DivX written backwards ) is an open source codec that was built from the ground up. It encodes with better quality than DivX and still keeps the filesize.

Being open source and coded originally, gave XviD a large amount of support in the movie scene. This is why most releases that come out in the movie scene are using the XviD codec over the greedy and spyware infested DivX.

For conversion guides from XviD to VCD, go here.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    I encode Xvid all the time with no prob.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Xvid was designed to convert MPEG to avi. It was not designed to be converted back to mpeg via VCD. You need to learn how to tweak your tmpgenc settings. XviD developers don't give a shit about VCD.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    n18's Avatar Death God
    Originally posted by Johnny_B@1 November 2003 - 22:36
    DivX ;-) (note the smilie) started out as a hacked Micro$oft Mpeg-4 codec (WMV). It was hacked to allow maximum compression while still keeping high quality bitrates of video and audio.
    DivX ;-) became very popular and so there was a need to come up with a legal codec instead of a hacked Micro$oft codec. So, an open source team was created: Project Mayo.

After a while, the original developers wanted to push it further and started a company called DivX Networks which started developing its own closed source version, based on the work of Project Mayo.

Some of the developers involved with the Project Mayo, still believed in the open source codec, so they developed the codec further and created XviD.

XviD (notice it is DivX written backwards ) is an open source codec that was built from the ground up. It encodes with better quality than DivX and still keeps the filesize.

Being open source and coded originally, gave XviD a large amount of support in the movie scene. This is why most releases that come out in the movie scene are using the XviD codec over the greedy and spyware infested DivX.

For conversion guides from XviD to VCD, go here.
    Woah, Thanks for the nice history lesson, DivX screwed over micro$oft, then Xvid screwed Divx, hehe ^_^

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    XviD developers don't give a shit about VCD.

that's so true

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    I hate xvid.

Its not like it dramatically drops the file size down.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Poster
    DivX needs 2 files 700 mb each to match one 680mb XviD video...

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by Acecool@2 November 2003 - 00:14
    DivX needs 2 files 700 mb each to match one 680mb XviD video...
    yea, sometimes thats true. now, i'm trying to encode a dvd to xvid (making a dvdrip).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast