Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What.CD - disabled

Thanks McArty.
    I'm sure that no one noticed my post because mods had to approve it first (I guess because it was my first post?), it showed up much later than I posted and it's on the previous page :-)
    Or if it's easier:
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-wha...89/postcount39
    Last edited by -mn-; 07-02-2010 at 09:55 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Well?

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CryBaby View Post
    The thing is - I've been member for 2 months. Uploaded 30 torrents(perfect flacs and other things) and been seeding the whole time.
    So, now we know that you cheated, but did you really upload 30 torrents?

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by -mn-
    As for the OP, he forgot to mention his old account and the fact that he is a big fan of RatioMaster. He also forgot to tell the whole truth about lying to staff. He did say that we asked him questions, so it's not like he got glined on spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    Try Waffles, and lay off the ratiomaster downloads.
    I'm one hell of a prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    I don't know how I missed mn's post, but it was refreshing to see such sincerity from a staffer's post.

EDIT: Not that staffer's lie all the time, but most of them are absolute douchebags that only care about the website and not the users.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 07-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Ellipses go here.

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    Quote Originally Posted by -mn- View Post
    As expected, anon is using every opportunity for their promotion...
    Promotion? You won't even find SB-I's full name in any of my posts (except of course when quoting someone who's posted it).

What.CD NEVER bans anyone just because you're a member of some site.
    On a sidenote, what's your take on invading users' privacy by holding their information forever in the database and checking whether they've visited certain URLs? Is it a necessary evil or just part of keeping the tracker? And if you don't ban people for visiting a site, how come you're checking for that in the first place? Does having visited the index of a cheater board (which is where you're redirected when trying to visit a non-existent page) count as further proof of wrongdoing if someone's already suspected of such activities?

There are cases when we want to talk with disabled users (most of the time!) and there are cases when we are 100% sure so there's no need to waste time. You can't open a cheat tool and fake stats by accident, so...
    I take it the 100% cases are when you tell people they know what they did, and swiftly ban them from IRC. Well, that's a bit too harsh, which is why I dislike it, but looking at how many lamers pose as innocent guys that got banned for "no reason", and adding the amount of obvious rule breakers that join IRC to have a shot at getting reenabled, I can understand. I'm pretty sure you have to deal with them on a daily basis, and that'd be exasperating.

As for the OP, he forgot to mention his old account and the fact that he is a big fan of RatioMaster.
    If he had had another account in the past, how come you gave him enough time to upload stuff and post in the forums before detecting it?

He also forgot to tell the whole truth about lying to staff. He did say that we asked him questions, so it's not like he got glined on spot.
    We got used to false accusations but I will never understand what could you expect to accomplish by making a thread like this and lying to few strangers that can't really help you.
    Agreed, I've been here for just a bit more than half a year, and have already read several "What.cd banned me for no reason" threads which always ended up with their starters being exposed as cheaters, traders and whatnot by one of your staff members. There was even one where WhatMan posted an IRC log of the guy making stupid excuses up on the fly to see if he could be reenabled, which was a great read - he even "admitted" his small amount of posts consisted of spam to see if he could reach extra privileges, which led me to temporarily ban him for a week

So, question for Anon if he is willing to talk with me.
    I'm always willing to talk, specially about this kind of stuff (I accidentally wrote "staff" instead of "stuff" the first time I wrote this paragraph, go figure ).

Why all that hatred? We only do our job and follow the rules. You have the rules on your site too, right?
    I never said I hate you (the whole What.cd staff), and so that it's clear, I don't. I've only made despective comments about your rough treatment to certain users here and there, and most of the time I didn't even fully mean what I was saying. You'll probably think I'm saying this because I can't write a different chunk of text to justify what I've said in the past. Personally, I don't care.

I know it's frustrating when you get banned few times (or many times) but it's not some big injustice if you broke the rules for fun (which you agreed to read and respect upon sign up), and then you get punished for that. What else can you expect?
    True. Nothing to discuss here.

You are annoyed with the way we do interviews? Of course we won't explain anyone how we caught them because they will run to you and you will make another tutorial on how to escape that trap next time, right? I know you're curious and you would love to know about our tools but can you really blame us for not telling you anything?
    I never said I don't like how you don't explain people how you caught them doing stuff, either. I merely pointed that habit of yours out on a post at SB-I. In the Off Topic section. I find it pretty damn logical to keep your security measures a secret, actually.

We are actually very forgiving in many cases and we do understand that people make mistakes,
    I guess you are. I can't check this because people whose offenses you forgive and accounts end up reenabling tend not to make threads about that anywhere.

except when it comes to cheating and selling invites. There's no excuse for that and it can't happen by accident.
    What about that guy who uploaded the same torrent to both your tracker and Waffles, put both announce URLs in the same torrent, uploaded a lot on Waffles while not doing so in your site, and ended up disabled on the latter... I don't keep track of that kind of stuff, so I'm sure that was probably some lame excuse for having been caught cheating (as if FSTers here could do anything about it ), but in a different case, couldn't that be considered an honest error mistaken for cheating by you?

But the only thing that can be seen here (so far) is lies from some fail cheaters. They even lie on your site to impress you and get the Member status.
    Where?

Some people think they can get away with lies. They come with prepared answers, false screenshots, speedtest, proxies etc. You know all those tactics because you advise people to do that.
    I don't advice people to do stuff. I tell them that if they have already got caught for cheating, and they know the reason, and they think they can lie their way to getting reenabled, they can do this or that.

But they only ruin their chances to get enabled like that because we already know alot and we are willing to forgive them if they cooperate and promise not to break the rules anymore.
    Come on, we're talking about cheaters there... you and I know they don't have a fucking chance of ever getting their account back once caught.

We did many things to make your life easier on What and if it's still not enough that we don't even ban for low ratio
    That was a nice move.

and you keep cheating, then you're too selfish to see that you're not hurting the staff but the community and honest members, even yourself because it's bad for the site (and I'm sure you love it too).
    Leeching a lot from the place and not giving anything back hurts it, yes. That's an undeniable truth. On the other side, people that have cheated their way to a good ratio can actually enjoy it, and download from those that have been seeding since day one and are struggling to survive, improving their ratios as well. I'm not saying it's OK to leech the crap out of your (or any other tracker) just because it makes others upload, but as you can see not all the consequences of the action are negative.

You are very smart and knowledgeable
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    I think you're using some big words "invading users' privacy"...
    We don't do anything that might affect innocent users and we don't ban anyone because they just visited your site. But people who get Member status usually download some cheat tools from sb-i. We are more careful with some users, that's all.
    And even if we know that someone is a Member there we wait till he makes a mistake.
    But tell me where else should we search for cheaters than on the cheat sites :-)

As for being harsh on IRC, there are no second chances if you cheat and that's well known. That's our policy so like it or not but you were warned from the start. Don't use cheat tools but if you decide to ignore our warning you may cry and complain later but don't blame us. The question is, should we waste time on people like that or should we use it to do something good for honest members who don't cheat or lie?

If you are not a cheater or seller you will have a fair "trial" and enough time to explain your situation. We are actually very polite and nice to people :-)
    We give a second chance to everyone who says the whole truth and promise not to break the rules in the future.
    Lying will not get you anywhere no matter how convincing you think you are. You just prove that you can't be trusted.

About your question why we didn't ban the OP sooner. I'm not sure what's behind that question.
    We have 120k members and we have insane amount of work. We can't see everything right away but sooner or later everyone makes a mistake.
    As I said, we are not obsessed with catching people. We are not searching for them 24/7. They do stupid things and get discovered even after reading all your tutorials :-)

You say you don't hate us and your reply sounds much nicer than I expected but I've seen some really bad posts of yours in the past. I'm not sure who is the real Anon, this one or the one on sb-i.
    I certainly like this one much better :-)

The question about cross seeding. Maybe we had a couple mistakes in the past but that was long ago and we enabled some people who proved to be innocent. Sometimes we ask for proofs and screenshots but I can assure you that we can make a difference now if someone is seeding on 2 sites.
    Though with the new tests we just got, that won't happen anymore.

Who is trying to impress you? Everyone who says that they opened 200 torrents and used RM on all of them.
    I've seen several people bragging and explaining how they cheated but we all laughed because those things were detectable by our system so they were just doing us favors. Sorry but I hope many of your friends will take their advice :-)

I'm not going to comment the rest of your post. That's what you believe is right.
    We will have to agree that we disagree on those things.

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    Quote Originally Posted by -mn- View Post
    I think you're using some big words "invading users' privacy"...
    You're basically running the browser histories of everyone in your site through a huge checklist every time they visit. Feel free to come up with an euphemism, but that counts as privacy invasion for me.

As for being harsh on IRC, there are no second chances if you cheat and that's well known. That's our policy so like it or not but you were warned from the start. Don't use cheat tools but if you decide to ignore our warning you may cry and complain later but don't blame us. The question is, should we waste time on people like that or should we use it to do something good for honest members who don't cheat or lie?

If you are not a cheater or seller you will have a fair "trial" and enough time to explain your situation. We are actually very polite and nice to people :-)
    We give a second chance to everyone who says the whole truth and promise not to break the rules in the future.
    Lying will not get you anywhere no matter how convincing you think you are. You just prove that you can't be trusted.
    The ones you're sure have cheated get shit harsher treatment, while the ones that commited "lighter" mistakes don't. It makes sense, it truly does.

About your question why we didn't ban the OP sooner. I'm not sure what's behind that question.
    We have 120k members and we have insane amount of work. We can't see everything right away but sooner or later everyone makes a mistake.
    As I said, we are not obsessed with catching people. We are not searching for them 24/7. They do stupid things and get discovered even after reading all your tutorials :-)
    And how would you know if they have read my t- oops, I forgot

You say you don't hate us and your reply sounds much nicer than I expected but I've seen some really bad posts of yours in the past. I'm not sure who is the real Anon, this one or the one on sb-i.
    I certainly like this one much better :-)
    Feel free to quote those "really bad posts" here. This time, you can take your time to consider whether I really meant what was posted, or the section I did it on. You see, sometimes I don't add a "" or "" after every sentence I write. But don't let that automatically make you take those seriously.

The question about cross seeding. Maybe we had a couple mistakes in the past but that was long ago and we enabled some people who proved to be innocent. Sometimes we ask for proofs and screenshots but I can assure you that we can make a difference now if someone is seeding on 2 sites.
    Though with the new tests we just got, that won't happen anymore.
    That's certainly good to hear, specially for those that would have been treated as cheaters just for not adding the .torrent from your tracker separately in their clients, had you not implemented those new tests.

Who is trying to impress you? Everyone who says that they opened 200 torrents and used RM on all of them.
    I've seen several people bragging and explaining how they cheated but we all laughed because those things were detectable by our system so they were just doing us favors. Sorry but I hope many of your friends will take their advice :-)
    Really? Only one guy has done the 200 torrents thingy, if my memory serves me well. There are others that have done stuff that would sound rather stupid, yet I don't see the disabled icon on their profiles... would you rather let them have a flagged account without them knowing, or are you just waiting for the next strike?

I'm not going to comment the rest of your post. That's what you believe is right.
    We will have to agree that we disagree on those things.
    I agree!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    Last edited by babab007; 07-02-2010 at 08:25 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi
    You're basically running the browser histories of everyone in your site through a huge checklist every time they visit. Feel free to come up with an euphemism, but that counts as privacy invasion for me.
    No true and you may check your browser :-)
    But I'm not going to discuss how our tools work as you won't explain me about some supersecret things you're doing... :-)
    But your story upsets only cheaters. Other people couldn't care less about it, and that's how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi
    The ones you're sure have cheated get shit harsher treatment, while the ones that commited "lighter" mistakes don't. It makes sense, it truly does.
    Again, that's not true. We only tell them that they won't be enabled and they can leave the channel. They get glined and we are harsh only if they are persistent, after we asked them to leave many times or if they keep coming back using proxies.
    I said that you may like it or not but cheaters don't get second chances. That's our policy and it's well known to all. You can only blame yourself if you get banned for cheating. No one gets banned for nothing and when we are 100% sure I don't see what should we talk about?
    Our scripts and other tools are the best because we learnt from the best.
    My personal opinion, with all your knowledge and experience it's a shame you're not working with me :-)

I'm not going to search and quote what you said, it's not that important. Hopefully you will change your opinion about What staff. Some day. :-)

As for the cheating and bragging on your site, of course I will not say who I was talking about. But I only meant that they didn't do what they said.
    Anyway, that was just an example that people post many things that actually never happened or they twist the real truth, for their own promotion. Like OP and many others seen here.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast