Thread: Free ‘BitTorrent VPN’ Grows to 300,000 Members in a Year

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Free ‘BitTorrent VPN’ Grows to 300,000 Members in a Year
    July 06, 2010

" ItsHidden is a VPN service that was set up with torrent users in mind, allowing them to hide their identities from ‘third parties’ who choose to snoop on their activities. The service launched less than a year ago, but with the increased demand for anonymous BitTorrent it has already amassed 300,000 members.

As pressure from anti-piracy outfits on governments to implement strict anti-piracy laws increases, millions of file-sharers have decided to protect their privacy by going anonymous.

The most common and widely used privacy services are VPNs that allow users to connect to the Internet whilst hiding their own IP-address, making BitTorrent transfers completely anonymous.

ItsHidden is one of the rare free VPN solutions currently available. It launched July last year and TorrentFreak has learned that less than 12 months later the service already has 300,000 members with a free account.

Besides the free accounts, tens of thousands of people have signed up to the paid option. These benefit from additional features and no bandwidth restrictions, which is probably the preferred choice for heavy downloaders.

A while ago we spoke with David, one of the people behind the service, who told us that they set their VPN up with BitTorrent users in mind.
    “It has been created to put some rights back in the favor of the user and that includes us,” David from ItsHidden explained to TorrentFreak. “There are so many bodies, mostly unelected, that seem to have full access to the most intimate of online details with little or no justification and more importantly, no evidence.”

The service encrypts the connection between the user and ItsHidden’s servers and prevents anyone from reading this data as it is sent or received. No data logs are kept of the user’s transfers, which makes it as private as it gets.

Of the 300,000 free users that signed up in the past year, 56,262 log in on an average day, transferring thousands of gigabytes. Due to the overwhelming interest in free accounts, ItsHidden had to disable new signups a few months ago, but they are currently allowing new members to join again.
    "

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/free-bittorr...a-year-100706/
    Last edited by Rart; 07-07-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fixed up title

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Nice. But for torrents does all traffic go through their servers? They must be able to handle only so much traffic.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgeberry View Post
    They must be able to handle only so much traffic.
    Actually traffic is easy, they must able to handle the legal pressure

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    hm. I may try the free option.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    This service is crap, I signed up, and got disconnected every 5 or so minutes, if it did actually connect.
    I got absolutely no support whatsoever from their email address. I then moved to another vpn service that uses openvpn, and I haven't been disconnected once.

You can forget getting a refund as well as they do not reply to their emails, like I mentioned, or support tickets.
    Last edited by 99shassan; 07-09-2010 at 04:10 AM.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    I had one VPN before Offer VPN for watching hulu. It was only 3.5$ a month But it seems they gone bankrupt or something as I cant find them any more.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerX View Post
    I had one VPN before Offer VPN for watching hulu.
    Hotspot Shield worked fine for that last time I checked. It's free and OpenVPN-based.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    It doesnt wokr anymore as hulu detects a proxy app running.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    So do you use it surfing or for torrents also?

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    I dont use anything right now. Not so much as surfing and neither torrents. More video playback from hulu US only page.