Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Invisible PC Mouse Only Cost $20 to Make

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    This Invisible PC Mouse Only Cost $20 to Make
    July 7, 2010 - By Kevin Parrish - Source : Tom's Guide US

" This mouse uses an IR laser, an IR camera, and MIT-developed software.

Three students from MIT's Media Lab have created an invisible computer mouse costing only $20 to build. Instead of the typical hands-on peripheral, the "invisible mouse" uses a line-capped infrared laser and an infrared tracking camera to interpret the user's hand movements. In turn, those movements are translated into on-screen actions such as button clicking and cursor placement.

As seen in the video below, the user acts as though a real mouse exists on the desktop, conforming his hand around its rounded shell and clicking on invisible buttons using his right index finger. The laser is mounted at the bottom of the laptop and positioned just above the user area, shooting an invisible plane. The camera is mounted on the top corner of the display, aimed down at the action area.

According to the students, movement is determined by the camera as it registers and interprets the changing field shapes. The info is then translated into mouse movement or button actions via proprietary software installed on the laptop--the right middle finger can even perform right-click commands.

"As we improve our computer vision algorithms, an extensive library of gestures could be implemented in addition to mouse movement and mouse clicks," the group said. "Typical multitouch gestures, such as zooming in and out, as well as novel gestures, such as balling one’s fist are all possible. In addition, the use of multiple laser beams would allow for recognition of a wider range of free hand motions, enabling novel gestures that the hardware mouse cannot support."

"

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Invisibl...news-7379.html
    Last edited by Darth Sushi; 07-18-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: fixed broken youtube link

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    So in order to eliminate one peripheral, I need to add two more?

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    as cool as this is it's retarded at the same time as skiz has pointed out. i'm sure ur limited on where ur hand has to be and don't forget about lag.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Maybe he could make a cheap keyboard that way? Not wanna pay 100 euros for the comercial laser ones.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    ...and who cares what it costs to make; it what it costs to buy that's relevant.

yo

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    ...and who cares what it costs to make; it what it costs to buy that's relevant.
    I think the idea is that you buy the 2 parts yourself and hook them up, but you need their software to make it work.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I think the idea is that you buy the 2 parts yourself and hook them up, but you need their software to make it work.
    Triple whammy!11

yo

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerX View Post
    Maybe he could make a cheap keyboard that way? Not wanna pay 100 euros for the comercial laser ones.
    Missed this before...
    Draw the keys onto your desk?

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    or on a pice of paper.
    Just saying because I use to carry my own keyboard and mouse around because I cant stand that fitly stuff from others. So I have a silicone fold-able keyboard and a wireless mouse right now. Was also looking on the Laser keyboard but they aren't exactly cheapos and battery doesn't hold more then 3 hours. Dunno if you can power them up with the USB.
    Last edited by SawyerX; 07-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    I think there is a lot going on with image sensors and video analytics that we will be seeing a lot of stuff like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast