Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Very Slow Boot Times

Poster
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@9 November 2003 - 19:15
    Tell you what i'll do. After my dinner, i'll come over and use some of my investigative skills on your box.

Seriously though, use a little initiative man.

Run bootvis > Select Trace > Next boot and driver delays > Reboot and don't touch your computer again (apart from logging in) until you get the results.

Ok, here are some pics of results of bootvis results on a healthy system (see, i even rebooted my computer to help you&#33

Now when you look at your results, do you see anything different? There is your problem. Describe to us what you find.

Good luck mate.

EVERTHING is different then your pic!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    Notice how i have unchecked 3 boxes on the top left. Do the same. It's boot activity and driver delay that we're looking at mostly.

Do you have one bar that seems much longer than all the others? If so what is it? eg. video card sound card etc.?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    Poster
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@9 November 2003 - 23:03
    Notice how i have unchecked 3 boxes on the top left. Do the same. It's boot activity and driver delay that we're looking at mostly.

Do you have one bar that seems much longer than all the others? If so what is it? eg. video card sound card etc.?
    the longest bar is prefetching which is at +66, then driver which is at +45. if you tell me how i will make a screenshot.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    to take a screen shot press the 'print screen' button on your keyboard then open paint and 'paste' - save the picture and goto www.uploadit.org than upload your pic
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    Poster
    I keep my PC clean and tidy. No spyware. No viruses. No extra programs that load extra drivers. Not software like fax monitors, etc. No extra STARTUP bullshit. Just a clean start.

BUT, my computer seems to take too long to boot up. I think it may be the TV capture card is allocating something. Maybe the drivers for that Gforce card too. Ever since I doubled my RAM it takes longer to boot up.

Windows starts within 10 seconds and it looks like I am ready to go, but I have to wait before I can log onto the internet, or do and WINDOWS functions. I can play cards for a while. Then after a minute or so, I can use the computer with no problem. Everything is fast and easy as expected.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    Poster
    I downloaded and installed bootvis myself yesterday... and promptly fucked up XP. When bootvis is monitoring the boot process, XP stalls and needs to be reset, when it decides to lose sight of the gforce video drivers giving me 800x600 in 16 colours!
    I've uninstalled it now LOL.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    Poster
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@10 November 2003 - 15:27
    to take a screen shot press the 'print screen' button on your keyboard then open paint and 'paste' - save the picture and goto www.uploadit.org than upload your pic
    when i go to upload.org and click upload it says The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini. what should i do?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    There's really no need to upload the pic, the image you have probably exceeds 100 kb. I don't think you can resize images in paint anyway.

A couple of questions.

Do you have very little RAM, and have you ever had XP running well on this machine? Have you updated all drivers and directx for your hardware, including your motherboard? Is your hard drive full or nearly full?

You reported a driver delay. In the driver delay section of the bootvis report, what driver is it that is causing the delay? Try uninstalling that driver and, if possible, removing that particular piece of hardware, temporarily.

Try RUN > prefetch > delete all the files.

It might be the case that your page file is fragmented:-

Right click My Computer > Advanced > Performance settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change. Set to no paging file.
    Now reboot your computer, defrag your hard drive, then go back and set your paging file to Custom size 1000mb (Initial and maximum), then reboot again.

Try BOOTVIS > Trace > Optimize system

Good Luck

ps. Smurfette, sorry to read about your problems.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    Poster
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@10 November 2003 - 22:43
    There's really no need to upload the pic, the image you have probably exceeds 100 kb. I don't think you can resize images in paint anyway.

A couple of questions.

Do you have very little RAM, and have you ever had XP running well on this machine? Have you updated all drivers and directx for your hardware, including your motherboard? Is your hard drive full or nearly full?

You reported a driver delay. In the driver delay section of the bootvis report, what driver is it that is causing the delay? Try uninstalling that driver and, if possible, removing that particular piece of hardware, temporarily.

Try RUN > prefetch > delete all the files.

It might be the case that your page file is fragmented:-

Right click My Computer > Advanced > Performance settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change. Set to no paging file.
    Now reboot your computer, defrag your hard drive, then go back and set your paging file to Custom size 1000mb (Initial and maximum), then reboot again.

Try BOOTVIS > Trace > Optimize system

Good Luck

ps. Smurfette, sorry to read about your problems.

i got 256 RAM, yes i had XP running well before, i dont know if I updated all my drivers and directx for hardware even motherboard,and i got about 20 gig out of 80 gig used from my hardrive, i changed my pagings file, and i did bootvis optomize system. ill see if theres a difference next time i reboot.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    Did you defrag before you set your current page file?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast