Thread: ASUS chooses Google Android over Windows for tablet

Asus says it will use Google's Android platform rather than Windows for its EP101TC tablet computer. This doesn't bode well for Microsoft, which killed its Courier tablet plans in April. Apple is leading the market with iPad, while Android is making good progress.

Asustek Computer, maker of the Eee PC netbooks running Microsoft Windows that have been hot sellers among consumers, has said it is choosing Google's Android platform over Windows for a tablet computer.

Asus officials told German blog Netbook News that Asus will eschew Windows for Android in its EP101TC pad, painting a potentially bleak picture for the software giant that nixed its own tablet plans in April.

"Rather than running an outdated Windows CE, Asus and the majority of tablet manufacturers will be relying on Google's operating system," Netbook News said.

The blog said Asus expects to demonstrate the tablet at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2011 before launching it in the first quarter of that year. It is not clear what flavor of the operating system the tablet would run, but Android 3.0 is expected before the end of the 2010.

Android smartphones such as the Nexus One are still in the process of being upgraded to Android 2.2, with those upgrades going out to the Motorola Droid X and HTC Droid Incredible in August.

With more than 60 phones on the market and more than 160,000 units shipping daily, there is a growing belief in the industry that Google's Android platform is the successor to Windows on smartphones.

The key difference is that while Microsoft seeded the market with Windows Mobile and let any phone maker license it for handsets, Android is open source.

There are no licensing royalties going to Google, which is making its money from mobile ads served with content on the phones.

While Windows currently dominates the netbook, laptop and PC markets, Apple has said it believes tablets will subsume the PC market.

Apple has sold 3 million iPads, proving that the tablet market represents a green field for hardware growth.

But Microsoft is woefully behind there after nixing its Courier tablet, and all signs point to Android edging out Windows as the challenger to Apple.

Dell built the Android-based Streak tablet, Lenovo is building an Android tablet for 2010, and HP is reportedly working on an Android tablet along with a tablet based on Palm's WebOS.

Even non-hardware purveyors Google and Verizon are building an Android tablet.

Source: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-an...Tablet-347895/
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-22-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: replaced word brick with proper article spacing/added image/fixed source

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Apple has sold 3 million iPads, proving that the tablet market represents a green field for hardware growth.

Apple has sold 3 million iPads, proving that the Apple fanboys will buy anything, even if it's just a giant version of something they bought years ago.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    iPad without a USB port and still got ppls buying it........Maybe a USB port is useless to them. iPad stand for idiot Pad!!!! Only idiot would buy it.....

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I bet the iTurd would be a success too. Just paint it white and stick an apple logo, and watch the fanboys race to the shops.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    sangos's Avatar T|-|E RE/-\PER BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    I bet the iTurd would be a success too. Just paint it white and stick an apple logo, and watch the fanboys race to the shops.
    LoL , but really i hated the usb part of it.. you know how they forgot that almost everything 2day needs a USB Port !!!

change it so i dont get my A** Kicked

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    hello everyone im new here

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Android is just the translation of the Apples price tag with a zero cut off the end lol.
    Ive used Apple iPod and Android phones and other than price theres not a real difference. All Hail Android !!! lol

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sangos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    LoL , but really i hated the usb part of it.. you know how they forgot that almost everything 2day needs a USB Port !!!
    Amen brother...saints word