Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is invite trading really that bad?

so you're talking about nice guys who are too greedy to give invite to another good guy... they need something in return
    come on, the only legit (in all means) trade may be between two friends. But then it cannot be even called trade, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Zevaka; 07-30-2010 at 06:05 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yeah, trading is bad. What else is a tracker supposed to say? Everyone know trading is going on and we all give out invites to strangers on the internet, and it's no hiding that. But a tracker can't afford to have that policy. Ofcourse new blood is better than a incestious tracker, but they have to be smart about how they let in new people and get rid of others. So I guess the rules are there to be broken.

I have gotten invites in thanks for giveaways via PM (not on this forum, you cheaps). And I don't feel bad about it. Is it trading? Technically it is. Did it get trusted users into new sites? Yes it did.

There is a thin line. Follow it and you'll be alright.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    TraLaLa's Avatar knowledge is power BT Rep: +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    Yeah, trading is bad. What else is a tracker supposed to say? Everyone know trading is going on and we all give out invites to strangers on the internet, and it's no hiding that. But a tracker can't afford to have that policy. Ofcourse new blood is better than a incestious tracker, but they have to be smart about how they let in new people and get rid of others. So I guess the rules are there to be broken.

I have gotten invites in thanks for giveaways via PM (not on this forum, you cheaps). And I don't feel bad about it. Is it trading? Technically it is. Did it get trusted users into new sites? Yes it did.

Bullshit, what you basically are saying is that trackers needs traders.They wont do much shit there,eventually fake a great ratio to get invites and continue trading to get more and more high level trackers.

“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.”

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by TraLaLa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post

Bullshit, what you basically are saying is that trackers needs traders.They wont do much shit there,eventually fake a great ratio to get invites and continue trading to get more and more high level trackers.
    Where the hell do I say that? I don't think thats true but it happens like anything illegal does. What I'm saying is that trackers have a flow of members going in and out of the tracker and some of that comes from trading. What does tracker prefer do you think? Traders or open invites? Trading is not good at all but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen at all, and can't be considered a good thing for people that want to keep their trackers safe.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Well, if you ask me, I'll not trade invites to anyone because of the very fact that he/she can abuse that account and I may be get banned for that reason!

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    Well, if you ask me, I'll not trade invites to anyone because of the very fact that he/she can abuse that account and I may be get banned for that reason!
    You can use that exact same logic to not even giveaway invites...
    Ellipses go here.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter View Post
    You can use that exact same logic to not even giveaway invites...
    Very true, not to mention many trackers forbid public giveaways, which makes them as disallowed as trading.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    many trackers forbid public giveaways, which makes them as disallowed as trading.
    And yet, only one tracker's staff approached me about a public giveaway I had; promised me I will never have invite privileges again, and then proceeded to give me two invites about a week ago (I can only assume that it's because both my previous invitees are in great standing status wise).

All I'm trying to say is I'm on Speedo's side in this particular instance. Trackers need fresh blood, and if you're going to restrict people to inviting just their very exclusive group of friends, then all you'll end up with is Tard1 inviting Tard2 and Tard3 to 600 different trackers (not that that already doesn't happen, but on the flip side, there is member variety on trackers).

EDIT: Not to mention that I have only one real life friend interested in torrenting (two, soon enough, but the second I met through torrenting) and I'm not about to impose my invites on him just so I can say I did him/the tracker a favor. He's content with TL, and I assume with very few exceptions, most people don't have real life friends that go around saying "FTN is my dream tracker let's hunt it down."
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 08-02-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    Ellipses go here.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    You need to get over the idea that people does anything illegal in the open, thats not how trading works.

Trading is that you give someone an invite to a site, but then the person that got in there want to say thanks and then offer you an invite to a site he knows. And it is all in the pm's. The public forums know nothing.

So why doesn't I have Bitme with this theory? Because they are all a bunch of douchebags.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    n00b BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Invite trading is OK as long as you don't get caught and as long as you don't trade with assholes. The latter seems to be the main problem.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast