Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cross Seeding

Usenet Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokhtar View Post
    its always against tracker rules. dont listen people try to make fun of you and trick you. cross seeding is bed for trackers. everybody know it is.
    What the hell are you talking about? It's never against tracker rules unless it involves exclusive (i.e., non-scene) content. And I fail to see how it affects trackers one way or the other. I see it as benefiting users, the cross-seeding user and the leechers he shares with.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Its bad because it makes it hard for everyone downloading the item to reach a 1/1 ratio with a bunch of people seeding who never grabbed it from that tracker.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    on BCG i dont see anything wrong with it, and we nullify that 1/1 problem anyway.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    why is good for trackers? users not so involved with tracker and steal things.
    Anything that creates more seeders seems like a positive to me.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    why is good for trackers? users not so involved with tracker and steal things.
    Anything that creates more seeders seems like a positive to me.
    It depends on the tracker. In some trackers(new ones mainly), everything is seeded, but everyone is scared to download anything, as they know it's pretty much impossible to seed to 1:1. Cross-seeding just exacerbates that issue for the tracker. But on trackers like TL, IPT, RevTT etc, go ahead, it doesn't do any harm.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    elbuitre's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Cross seeding should only be done properly, if you have a torrent from different trackers with the same hash, you should not seed that at both sites; That may trigger the cheat script and land you in a shame list or whatever.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by elbuitre View Post
    if you have a torrent from different trackers with the same hash, you should not seed that at both sites; That may trigger the cheat script and land you in a shame list or whatever.
    Not if you add it as a separate entry in your client. Usually, the script triggering you mention is caused by people putting multiple tracker URLs from different trackers on a single torrent.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    elbuitre's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    But if they have the same hash uTorrent automatically asks to add them together, if you say no, the torrent does not add to uTorrent. How do i add a separate entry for a torrent with the same hash file but different tracker?

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Oh, I see what you mean. The only workaround is running a separate uTorrent instance, then.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    its always against tracker rules. dont listen people try to make fun of you and trick you. cross seeding is bed for trackers. everybody know it is.
    As mentioned before, that is a very untrue statement. BitMeTV has tuts on how to do this, for example. Cross-seeding is something I actually recommend to people when they first start on a site to help build a buffer. Too many times people (including myself in the past) jump gun-ho on a site and ruin their account in minutes or hours.

I'm with skiz on this one. I'd rather have more seeders and better speeds.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast