Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cross Seeding

Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think you guys should be clear what you mean by cross seeding..
    Like stated - if the torrents have the same hash, and you are just adding the tracker of site B to the existing torrent from site A, you will get banned on both sites.. because what you are seeding to peers on site A for example, will get announced to the tracker on both Site A and B and vice versa. You put yourself in a position where you could be getting upload credit when there aren't even peers on one of the sites.
    If you have separate hash for each torrent though, then that is alright and should be nothing to do with the site (none of their business what you are seeding elsewhere unless you are sharing something that is exclusive).

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    To properly cross-seed it is as simple as actually downloading the ".torrent" file from each site. As long as you do this you will have different hashes even though you are seeding the same files.

I am pretty damn certain of this. Am I wrong?
    Last edited by bumrocks; 07-26-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Sometimes when the hash is the same, it won't add the new torrent, it will add the tracker URL to the list of trackers.. I believe this is because the application is a single port using app (like utorrent) and you can't have two torrents with the same hash in your list.. the client wouldn't know where to send the peer to.. so it merges them.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilly View Post
    Sometimes when the hash is the same, it won't add the new torrent, it will add the tracker URL to the list of trackers...
    But uTorrent will ask you want to add the URL to the torrent/tracker list. If it does then you will always say no. If you actually download a separate torrent file from the second tracker you should never get this message though. Pretty sure about this.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    elbuitre's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If the files are the same and the torrent file is created with the same piece size (people often use the auto-piece size on uTorrent) then you have two torrents with the same hash info but with different trackers. If you add a second of those and you choose not to add the tracker to the tracker list then the uTorrent ignores it; The only workaround to seed this files at two trackers, as anon said, is to run another instance of uTorrent.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Right - like elbuitre said, if you say no, it ignores it.. ie.. doesn't add the torrent - it doesn't add it as a new separate torrent.. so saying no means you wouldn't be seeding it.

I run rtorrent and utorrent simultaneously for this reason.. so I can seed multiple places at once.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    I am aware of the that uTorrent ignores it. Which was point why you would say no so that you didn't have the hash problem.

I have the piece size as "auto-detect" on uTorrent. I upload on multiple sites and as long as I create separate torrent files I have never had an issue.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    kurdt's Avatar Death From Above
    on utorrent 1.8.5 it worked exactly as bumrocks said, even if the 2 files are exactly the same, because the torrent files would be different. i have not tried it in utorrent 2.0.2 yet so don't know. could that be why you guys are having the issue? i hope they haven't changed it.

on a side note, i think its funny that the problem with public trackers was not enough leechers and so they created private trackers and now the problem is not enough leechers. That is a different problem than too many seeders, however, and so i don't think that cross-seeding hurts the tracker as a whole (because it benefits the leechers and promotes leeching).

it might hurt the person who downloads and just expects to keep a 1:1 ratio quickly without any effort - such as cross-seeding or partial seeding or downloading popular torrents to build ratio, seeding for a LONG time, or buying a box. sorry, the world doesn't owe you a ratio.
    Last edited by kurdt; 07-27-2010 at 12:32 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    bumrocks - Are you saying , that you click NO to the question utorrent asks when the hash are matching, and it adds that new torrent to your client so that you can seed multiple torrents in ONE client, that have the exact same hash? this isn't possible in utorrent.. how would the peer be directed to the right torrent? Or.. are you saying, that you create multiple torrents for multiple sites.. add them to your client, and it doesn't tell you there is a matching hash.. thats a different scenario, which is possible

kurdt - we are not talking about same files.. we are talking about same hash
    Last edited by Rilly; 07-27-2010 at 02:13 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilly View Post
    Or.. are you saying, that you create multiple torrents for multiple sites.. add them to your client, and it doesn't tell you there is a matching hash.. thats a different scenario, which is possible
    Correct.

And I will go back to a previous statement...

If you properly download a separate torrent file from each site you will not have any issues of improper reporting of stats. And therefore should not have one issue with cross-seeding or sending improper stats to the wrong site (I think I am repeating myself).

I use µTorrent 1.8.5, btw.

My newest confusion is why you have to use different clients to seed at different places. I have never had an issue and am a member of probably too many sites.
    Last edited by bumrocks; 07-27-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast