Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Expedition Claims Finding Ark On Ararat

While i don't believe there was ever a worldwide flood as described in the bible or that 2 of every species were safely kept on a boat, I don't dismiss the idea that there may be some basis for the story and that this discovery on Ararat, might be evidence. I am however, skeptical that this boat or rock formation is anything, the little i've read about it hasn't been too convincing.

narrowminded = intolerant of views and beliefs that differ from your own. Seems like a fair comment (just looking at the original post).

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@4 November 2003 - 11:42
    This is another load of bollocks to sell a book. There was no ark, there was no Noah, there is no fucking god.

My opinion since you ask is:
    Keeping an open mind and trying not to be too cynical.
    I try not to be a religous fanatic or a anti-religous fanatic.
    Your statement " there is no fucking god." implies that you know that to be a fact.
    That is your opinion and nothing more with cynical overtures, if you don't agree with that, in my opion your close-minded. The End.
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    jetje's Avatar former star
    The ark was already found long time ago, somewhere in the thirties.
    It was a close race cause the German war industry wanted to have it to, because of the special powers it should have...

I have some pictures to prove it!

the ark

The guy that dicovered it

the germans that were after it!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Yes jetje, very interesting, those red crosses!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    @ jetje. Oh okay it must be true then. All I needed to convince me were some red crosses.

Oh good, nigel123, it's not just me then.

It beats the crap outta me how otherwise seemingly intelligent people swallow that stuff without question. Faith is a truly amazing thing.

B)

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    jetje's Avatar former star
    replaced red crosses... so now it's all proved~

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Damn! You're right! Where was my head at?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Billy

I am not sure whether the presence of a wooden structure in the Eastern mountains of Turkey or Armenia is really relevant to any theological debate.

Jericho is mentioned in the Bible and it exists. The mere act of visiting present day Jericho proves nothing one way or another as to the existence or otherwise of God.

There are numerous flood myths common to the Middle East, the Epic of Gilgamesh being the oldest on record to date. After the last Ice Age there was serious flooding and most coastal habitations would have been lost over the following decades of rising seas and heavy rains. Whether this would have resulted in a boat resting in the mountains seems unlikely, but anything is, I dare say, possible.

What I would say regarding boats on Ararat is it is remarkable for an object of so many sightings to have so little substantiated evidence. Nevertheless, that region is the cradle of Western civilisation and there are probably many archaeological discoveries awaiting us - even if they do not turn out to be boats.

I think we may have talked about this before, but religion exits in faith not archaeology. No amount of bits and bobs dug up from the ground is likely to favour one argument over another. Even if an Ark was found with grafitti carved in the timbers saying "Noah was here" all that would be authenticated is that a man called Noah existed and built a boat much smaller than boats we can build now. It would not even begin to explain the differentiated species, for example, hopping around your new homeland.

Now if they discover a ship like the one Mulder discovered in the X-Files well that would set a cat or two amongst all sorts of birds - but I suspect that may be a long shot too.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    BANNED
    You're absolutely right Biggles. But what amuses me is the extraordinary lengths this god goes to to achieve his aims. He supposedly created the universe, and everything in it. Without looking up statistics, and writing from (an ageing) memory, that would be around 4 billion gallaxies, each containing 4 billion stars, (give or take), and only he knows how many planets. So he gets the shits with humans, and wants to wipe them out. Easy, you would think. But no, he gets someone to build a ship that takes ?years to construct, fills it with two of every species, then makes it rain for 40 days and 40 nights, till the whole world is flooded. He then returns said creatures back to their rightful places on the earth. And people believe it! Incredible!

BTW, didn't the last ice age finish 20,000 years ago? I doubt there were many ships\boats around at that time.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It is said, Billy, that He moves in mysterious ways.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast