Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Is FLAC really "better" than high-bit rate MP3?

Monteiro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    I only downloaded flac rips since get a Pedros. And I think flac is better than mp3.

2. Music   -   #22
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Monteiro View Post
    I only downloaded flac rips since get a Pedros. And I think flac is better than mp3.
    Yeah we will just believe it cuz you say so. Any other facts you wanna create while u r at it?

3. Music   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    320 pwns flac.. why dl 30mb song ???

4. Music   -   #24
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Flac is definitely better, and not just the quality, but the filesize too!
    An mp3 is three times bigger when it has the same quality as a flac.

5. Music   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo8 View Post
    Flac is definitely better, and not just the quality, but the filesize too!
    An mp3 is three times bigger when it has the same quality as a flac.
    I think you may wanna read up on your facts flac<->mp3.... though i dont agree that mp3 is better

Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monteiro View Post
    Yeah we will just believe it cuz you say so. Any other facts you wanna create while u r at it?
    I can create facts.... I promise they will be interesting
    Last edited by obaletan; 08-31-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Music   -   #26
    Flac is pretty much lossless quality (correct me if I'm wrong) but it takes up a huge amount of space. Over 30-40 mb per song depending on the length. I believe MP3 is one of the greatest inventions because how the hell else would you fit 60 000 songs on your ipod? How would you keep your seeding ratio up if you always download flac?

I download all my favorite artists best albums in flac, the others in 320 kbps MP3 or VBR MP3. Then convert them, place in itunes and put the originals away for safe keeping.
    Last edited by Element4l; 08-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.

7. Music   -   #27
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    FLAC as others have said is lossless. What that means is when decompressed to something like WAV or RAW format, it is bit exact to the original be it CD, DVD, ect.. There are other lossless compressions schemes besides FLAC. Monkey Audio is just as good as FLAC in compression and in some cases better.

MP3 is a lossy compression scheme. Once something is converted to MP3, you have lost things in the music/audio that cannot be recovered. So decompression results in inaccurate copy of the original and won't be bit exact.

My recommendations, listen to FLAC at the house and listen to mp3 on portables. If you have decent audio equipment in your home, you can tell the difference between FLAC and 320bit MP3 or at least I can with my ears. MP3 seems to destroy the high end range of frequencies and makes instruments like cymbals sound washed out.

With that said, today's music is overly compressed, Dynamic Range Compressed that is, and has the loudness jacked up to the point of distortion and clipping so the distinction between FLAC and MP3 will be even harder to tell, the cd version of Death Magnetic by Metallica is a good example of this.
    Last edited by sandman_1; 08-31-2010 at 09:23 PM.

8. Music   -   #28
    Krunch's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    i think yes it is the best and has more fillrate

9. Music   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunch View Post
    fillrate
    Thanks for enlightening us.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. Music   -   #30
    Its 2032132465749543131657986541 better in every way.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast